Just fixed up pipes but still have a problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 09:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just fixed up pipes but still have a problem

Well I just got my new up pipe gaskets in and it helped with my slow boost and high EGTs but still when im in 6th gear right at about 10 psi on the boost gauge my turbo sounds like its surging and quits building boost? it'll go to 20-25 psi just fine in 5th gear with no surging noises, just in 6th?

Anybody got any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2010, 09:16 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like your lugging it. What RPM are you having problems at. What is your tire size and gear ratio? Probally should fill out your sig with your mods and or specs of your ride.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckslayer74 View Post
Sounds like your lugging it. What RPM are you having problems at. What is your tire size and gear ratio? Probally should fill out your sig with your mods and or specs of your ride.
It pretty much does it at all RPMs in 6th gear, just does it once it hits about 10 psi...I've just got 285's with 3.73 gears...it shouldnt be lugging it down I wouldnt think
Old 10-17-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CattleHauler View Post
It pretty much does it at all RPMs in 6th gear, just does it once it hits about 10 psi...I've just got 285's with 3.73 gears...it shouldnt be lugging it down I wouldnt think
I take it this is happening when your pulling? If four in 6th gear at 10lbs of boost thats telling me your getting on it. Freeway speeds in my truck at 75mph I run about 800 to 900 degrees. When I'm towing I'll get cooler EGTs and more boost in 5th gear at about 2300 to 2500 rpm. That rpm makes me feel like I beating on my truck but they like running in that rpm range . Hope that helps, maybe someone else will chime in.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I take it this is happening when your pulling? If four in 6th gear at 10lbs of boost thats telling me your getting on it. Freeway speeds in my truck at 75mph I run about 800 to 900 degrees. When I'm towing I'll get cooler EGTs and more boost in 5th gear at about 2300 to 2500 rpm. That rpm makes me feel like I beating on my truck but they like running in that rpm range . Hope that helps, maybe someone else will chime in.
This is with no trailer, just truck, on 75HP on the TS chip, I will punch it and it boosts fine then just makes a god awful surging noise constantly at about 10 psi...not real high rpms, probably running 55-60 which would be 1700-1800 rpms or so for me I believe...I didn't think it was normal for a turbo to surge at 10 psi? the boost gauge doesnt flutter either so I have no clue
Old 10-17-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
This is with no trailer, just truck, on 75HP on the TS chip, I will punch it and it boosts fine then just makes a god awful surging noise constantly at about 10 psi...not real high rpms, probably running 55-60 which would be 1700-1800 rpms or so for me I believe...I didn't think it was normal for a turbo to surge at 10 psi? the boost gauge doesnt flutter either so I have no clue
I give up for a bit on this for a bit, I need to think about it longer. At your speeds and my 315 tires (35") I'm probally at 4lbs boost and at 70 to 75 I'm at like 5 to 6lbs on flat ground. Sounds like something is binding up on your truck because to me 10lbs is alot of boost for those speeds and tires. Turbo surge is normal on our trucks also before I did my wicked wheel and ported shroud housing I had surge. What about frozen up U joints or bad bearings holding back, also brake drag? those lower gears have the power to overcome something causing resistance and you get it into 6th where the trans ratio is 1:1 IIRC you start to notice because it has to work the motor harder hope this make sense.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I give up for a bit on this for a bit, I need to think about it longer. At your speeds and my 315 tires (35") I'm probally at 4lbs boost and at 70 to 75 I'm at like 5 to 6lbs on flat ground. Sounds like something is binding up on your truck because to me 10lbs is alot of boost for those speeds and tires. Turbo surge is normal on our trucks also before I did my wicked wheel and ported shroud housing I had surge. What about frozen up U joints or bad bearings holding back, also brake drag? those lower gears have the power to overcome something causing resistance and you get it into 6th where the trans ratio is 1:1 IIRC you start to notice because it has to work the motor harder hope this make sense.
This aint at constant speeds though, i'm nowhere near 10 psi in 6th unless i'm just gettin on it pretty hard...on interstate, before the up pipe gasket change I was holding maybe 3 psi on flat ground at a constant 65-70mph...With my surging, it's at a hard acceleration, going up a pretty steep grade...it does fine at a constant speed because I never make it over 6 or 7 psi just cruising in 6th...it's just when I step on it, it may be just normal turbo surge but I thought 10 psi was awful low for my turbo to be surging at? and can't figure why I don't hear it in any other gear

Sorry for not being very specific in the other posts, but thanks for the input
Old 10-17-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
This aint at constant speeds though, i'm nowhere near 10 psi in 6th unless i'm just gettin on it pretty hard...on interstate, before the up pipe gasket change I was holding maybe 3 psi on flat ground at a constant 65-70mph...With my surging, it's at a hard acceleration, going up a pretty steep grade...it does fine at a constant speed because I never make it over 6 or 7 psi just cruising in 6th...it's just when I step on it, it may be just normal turbo surge but I thought 10 psi was awful low for my turbo to be surging at? and can't figure why I don't hear it in any other gear

Sorry for not being very specific in the other posts, but thanks for the input
Now that I've reread our responses It sounds like plain ol surge. Put in a Wicked Wheel or better yet the ported shroud compressor housing. The Wicked Wheel is under $100 and the compressor housing is right around $400. You may want to do the DIY 6637 or AFE Big Boost air cleaner both of those would be under $100 and flow excellent. I'd do the Wicked Wheel and DIY air filter and I think your problem will most likely go away.

Last edited by Stroken7.3; 10-17-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:20 AM
Serving Our Country!

^^^second the DIY airintake^^^
Old 10-18-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Now that I've reread our responses It sounds like plain ol surge. Put in a Wicked Wheel or better yet the ported shroud compressor housing. The Wicked Wheel is under $100 and the compressor housing is right around $400. You may want to do the DIY 6637 or AFE Big Boost air cleaner both of those would be under $100 and flow excellent. I'd do the Wicked Wheel and DIY air filter and I think your problem will most likely go away.
I've got a DIY intake on the truck now, along with 5 inch exhaust with 4 inch downpipe...So it's normal for a turbo to surge at pressures as low as 10 psi?...I've been looking for a van turbo for my truck, I don't like the way a wicked wheel sounds so I might just start lookin for a good price on an ATS housing now then

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.