Front Hub/Knuckle question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front Hub/Knuckle question

I'm in the process of cleaning and lubing my front hubs and the auto locking mechanism. When I pulled the knuckle joint, I noticed that there are a couple of rubber seals/washers that are just "floating" in there and aren't in their crevices. Sorry I don't know the technical terms for them. Since they are not in place, I can wiggle the axle end up and down easily. I'm not sure if this is normal. Can I just shove these back in place? Do you think any damage was caused inside since these seals were not in place?
Attached Thumbnails
Front Hub/Knuckle question-dsc03446.jpg   Front Hub/Knuckle question-dsc03451.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2010, 06:12 PM

MIne are the same way. I dont think they will hurt anything. I know that when you change ball joints you have to take the axle out and those seals just seem to come with it.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Serving Our Country!

They are dust covers for the axel tubes. every truck i have looked at they are dangling just like mine are aggravating!
Old 10-16-2010, 06:45 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
those are definitely an under engineered part of these trucks cause mine were the same way before i had frontend work done. the bad thing about them being that way is that dirt gets in there and will eventually make the inner axle seals leak. that problem sucks if you have auto hubs cause then no vacuum can be pulled to shift into 4x4 mode. i found that out the hard way... not good!
Old 10-16-2010, 09:00 PM
Serving Our Country!

My 4x4 still works with them hanging?
Old 10-16-2010, 09:23 PM

Thanks for the replies! I feel a little better that it's a "normal" condition, but I'll still try to stuff them back in tomorrow. I'll try to wet them with a little motor oil so it helps them slide back in. I think my hubs were locking too (I haven't needed them since winter, so I'm not positive), but I'm just doing a little preventative maintenance! Any more info on them is appreciated! I just like to learn as much about these trucks as I can.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:35 PM

Just leave them.

did you take the hub out of the Bearing assembly and did you remove the assembly? If so make sure to grease the inner bearing riding on the shaft. It takes 15mins to take the whole thing off and worth the re greasing. CHeck the large bearing on the assembly for wiggle/wear. I have replaced a 3 so far on my trucks and they seem to go bad 3-6 months after heavy water or around 250K.
Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to catch me.
Anyway, Make sure you replace the yellow seal on the bearing assembly to prompt better vacuum if removed.

How is the bio working for you?
Old 10-17-2010, 10:33 AM

So you don't think I should stuff the dust seals back in? Should I stuff some grease in with them? This is exactly what I'm doing:

Needle bearling lube:
Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page

Lubing the AutoLock Hub:
Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Autolock Hub Lubrication Maintenance Web Page

following these directions to a "T". I'm also in the process of the full fuel bowl rebuild as I'm replacing my IPR and had it out anyway. I put some some Cryo Powerslot rotors and new Hawk pads last weekend-the truck has been up on the jack stands for a while!

I can't say enough good things about running WVO on the Vegistroke kit. 2 years now, and not a single problem from fuel, and that's with some performance mods. After you pay off the investment of the kit, it's awesome driving around on free fuel!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC6253 View Post
My 4x4 still works with them hanging?
check out post from bryanh above if ya haven't already. explained pretty well there that's not the actual seal, just dust cover
Old 10-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Premium Member

seals

Biostroker-

the dust seal just hangs out. even if you put it back in, it will come loose again. once you get through guzzles service on the autolock hub and needle bearing, put the hub and locker back on and unhook the vacum line near the frame rail. clean the end off and suck on it. if you cant suck air through the vacum line, you've got a good seal. if you can suck air through there, you need to check the axle seal (on the knuckle - not the dust seal that is hanging out), the yellow o-ring on the hub, or your locker. you'll also know that you're not getting a good seal if you turn on the 4x4 when the blower motor is running and it will divert the air to the defrost. there are a whole bunch of write ups on addressing that problem.

i hope it goes well. it probably is going to start snowing out there soon.

by the way- are you cleaning your own oil? you should put yourself on our WVO map. we don't have anyone near the Tetons!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.