What to look for when buying a powerstroke? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What to look for when buying a powerstroke?

Im looking to buy a truck. 95% of the time it will be a Daily driver. The other time i have a Cj5 i plan to haul on a 25 foot gooseneck trailer and im sure most the time there will be another jeep on it too. Total i think it would be about 12000-14000 pounds. but like i said this will not be a every day thing. MAYBE once a month id take a 5-600 mile trip towing.

I have found a early 99 that i like alot for 11500 (130k miles). Is there anything i should know about the early 99s? Are they ok? people seem to make it a point to say early or late so im guessing there is a big difference? I have also found a 03 6.0 for 13000 thats almost a identical truck. Im aware of the head gasket and EGR issues and what ive seen is you have to spend another 2 grand to make it as reliable as a 7.3. I have driven both and without a doubt the 6.0 had more power (both stock) but both had enough to get the job done and i dont plan on making a race truck or pulling it or anything.

Another thing that is very important to me is cold starting. at home it wont be a issue i can plug it in. But i go to school and live in a apt a couple days a week and there is no way i could plug it in. So it needs to be able to start in cold weather at least for this winter (ill be done with school in the spring). from what ive seen the 6.0s do start better in the winter but i cant aford to spend 13 on one then do 2 grand in mods so it doesnt blow up.

I have about 10k to spend. hopefully not much more. less is always better.

Also, What kinda fuel mileage are you guys getting? is 18-20 possible empty at 70mph? I drive about 400 miles a week back and forth to school so the more the better. This is 100% highway driving at 60-75 the entire trip.

What else should i look for while buying a truck. Im going to school to be a auto tech so i can handle that kinda stuff but i really know nothing about diesels engines. (but im hoping to learn) i want to buy something that is going to last me a long time and be a good truck that i dont have to work on a ton. So what year/engine should i be looking for? Should i go look at the Early 99? Or the 03 6.0? Or keep looking for a different one?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

check the turbo fins for damage, check for leaks, get teh tranny checked by a trusted mechanic. put the oil fill cap upside down on the oil fill and see if it pops off, its a fair indication of blowby. id go with the 7.3 but thats me. check the early 99 section at the top of this page, there is a list of differences i beleive in a sticky.

cold start? how cold? new good batteries, good glows, good relay and a good starter (dbelectrical gear reduction) will go really far. IMHO if its going to get under 10*F pretty consistantly go with a lighter weight oil, 10w30 or something.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculously_necessary View Post
check the turbo fins for damage, check for leaks, get teh tranny checked by a trusted mechanic. put the oil fill cap upside down on the oil fill and see if it pops off, its a fair indication of blowby. id go with the 7.3 but thats me. check the early 99 section at the top of this page, there is a list of differences i beleive in a sticky.

cold start? how cold? new good batteries, good glows, good relay and a good starter (dbelectrical gear reduction) will go really far. IMHO if its going to get under 10*F pretty consistantly go with a lighter weight oil, 10w30 or something.
Thanks for the tips and ill check out that section...

Colds as in northern ohio/southern MI cold. so im going to say it rarely drops below 20 here. Maybe a couple times a year but honestly im not sure maybe someone else from the area can say
Old 10-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

there is a section aroudn here somewhere that has a checklist too, look around for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.