Should I Buy A 1999 7.3L Powerstroke? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I Buy A 1999 7.3L Powerstroke?

I've been interested in getting a 6 speed manual with a 7.3 under the hood. I'm just wondering how many problems they had with that particular year? Should I be looking at something between 2000 and 2003? This a a crew cab F450 4x4 dually with 120,000 for $8000. I feel like it's a pretty good price but just question that engine. Any advice is appreciated. I searched but had a hard time finding topics about it. I figured it would be something that had been covered before. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

Best engine there is as far as I am concerned! I love the 7.3! Most folks that have then agree.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:31 AM
CSP Resident Spooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Best engine there is as far as I am concerned! I love the 7.3! Most folks that have then agree.
I know I love my 7.3!
Old 10-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Emergency Services

Do you happen to know if it is an early year or late year model 1999? That year had two slightly different engines, nothing to take away from the reliability of the 7.3, just slightly different.

But besides that, the 99-03 7.3's are known for their reliability. I'm glad i got mine....don't regret a thing about it. Try going to the 03-07 6.0 section and hear the same from those owners.

These years aren't the fastest, aren't the strongest, and aren't the best on mpg's, but they'll start just about every time as long as you keep up with the maintenance. Mine gets a little fussy when it gets cold out, but a few cycle of the glow plugs gets her going every time.

Just be smart before you buy, check over everything. Look for the obvious things. Leaks would be the first thing i do. Just squat down and look under, any fluid and I'd probably pass. Mine leaks slightly but that's my fault....forgot to use a washer with my last oil change . Also if you can, look under the air box (it's held on with two clips) and see if there is any dust on the intake side of the air box. One common problem with these trucks is the air box not holding tight and allowing dust to get through to the engine....unfiltered. No bueno

All in all, if you gave me 10 grand and told me to buy a truck today, the only truck i would consider is a 99-03 superduty....that's how confident i am in this thing
Old 10-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The 7.3 is a excellent motor, you can't go wrong regardless of year. That being said, a 99.5-03 would be slightly easier to upgrade depending on how extreme you go.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlukasavige172 View Post
I've been interested in getting a 6 speed manual with a 7.3 under the hood. I'm just wondering how many problems they had with that particular year? Should I be looking at something between 2000 and 2003? This a a crew cab F450 4x4 dually with 120,000 for $8000. I feel like it's a pretty good price but just question that engine. Any advice is appreciated. I searched but had a hard time finding topics about it. I figured it would be something that had been covered before. Thanks again.
depends on what you want to do..

huge power? if so try and find a 99.5-01 with forged over the PMR's..

make sure the engine has been taken care of..it will run forever if it is..honestly..lol
Old 10-11-2010, 05:46 AM

I'm just backing up what these guys are telling you. I love my '99 7.3, my dad has an 03 6.0 and keeps asking if I want to buy it, I just keep telling him NO. yeah mines louder, not quite as fast and he has a nice trans. but mine keeps on going no matter what abuse I give it.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the replies guys. What I need it to do is haul about a 3500 pound camper in the bed and pull a 4000 pound enclosed trailer. I went and drove the truck this morning and liked how it drove. That being said it was my first manual powerstroke I've driven and I'm just not sure how they are suppose to feel with power. It kinda felt sluggish going up hills but maybe I need to downshift? It just did not get the turbo whine my 2002 has, although that is an auto. Just really not sure what to expect from it. I just need it to pull like hell through the mountains and back roads. Can anyone help me out with how these are suppose to feel. I'm going to try and drive another one later to see if it is any different. The thing with the truck I just drove (which they never mentioned to me) is the engine has been changed out and supposedly only has 120,000 miles on it while the truck itself has 275,000. The truck felt really solid but still it brings the price down now. Thanks for the help again.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:12 AM

hopefully somone else can help with the feel. but if all is well, chip it and put a few guages in, youll like it. imho, i think price sounds nice.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Stock mine feels a bit sluggish until you get up the turbo boosted up, and with a manual, that means between every shift.

I got a tuner and that really helps it feel quicker, but again the 7.3 isn't the race winner. It will haul anything you put behind it though, just keep it in the right rpm range and you're golden. towing I don't like to get it under 2k rpm as the turbo is always ready at that rpm.

I say get it. I love my 7.3 6sp and I love this truck. They'll have to pull it from my cold dead hands...if I let go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.