Looking at a '99 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2006, 11:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking at a '99

I'm wanting to change to a diesel from my Ram 2500. I get 7 mpg pulling my 5th wheel and everyone says they get 15mpg+/- with their diesels. I've ran across a 1-owner '99 F250 XLT Quad cab LWB w/ the 7.3 Powerstoke w/ 160,000 miles on it. Asking price is $13,000. I know it's been properly maintained because it is owned by the now-retired, long-time owner of a local Ford dealership. His son given the dealership.

My question is: should I have any qualms about the 160,000 miles?

Thanks in advance for any input you can give me.

Last edited by Old Rookie; 04-28-2006 at 11:31 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2006, 01:51 PM
I LIKE CHROME :)

Send a message via MSN to power95
that isnt a bad price but it isnt a good one either. i would say 160,000 is an ok amount of mileage, she should go to 250,000 minimum
Old 04-28-2006, 06:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rookie
I'm wanting to change to a diesel from my Ram 2500. I get 7 mpg pulling my 5th wheel and everyone says they get 15mpg+/- with their diesels. I've ran across a 1-owner '99 F250 XLT Quad cab LWB w/ the 7.3 Powerstoke w/ 160,000 miles on it. Asking price is $13,000. I know it's been properly maintained because it is owned by the now-retired, long-time owner of a local Ford dealership. His son given the dealership.

My question is: should I have any qualms about the 160,000 miles?

Thanks in advance for any input you can give me.
thats not a bad price here in florida, knowing the maint. has been taken care of is a bonus, less likely to have problems with it.
i get 15-16 mpg with my 350 4x4. not too much less when loaded up.
the extra money you pay for the diesel option upfront makes up for itself very quickly as compared with the gas counterpart, even more true now that fuel is pushin $3.00. any truck properlly taken care of will last a long time, but i think the diesels are more efficient and more reliable than the gas trucks.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Banned

with a good maintanence record...the milage would not scare me one bit.....as far as the price...that depends so much on area...ill let the guys closer to you help ya there.....but as far as the truck itself.......check and see if it is a late or early build 99. its not too tough to figure out to the trained eye....but there is an actual build date on the door tag that will tell you for sure....i want to say it was like august or september of 98 that was the divider....but i know some guys on here know that date for sure.....all and all though....sounds like a heck of a good deal to me......Marc
Old 04-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

13,000 sounds like a pretty good price. If you looked around you could probaly find one for a little less but might not know anything about it. I have seen many trucks with 250,000-300,000 on them with out much work ever being done to the engine other then reguler maintence. I see more trouble with trannys then anything else.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:14 PM
Member/MARINE

Send a message via Yahoo to rajharley
sounds good

From the sounds of it that is a great deal....can't beat the fact that you know it was well maintained. Maybe ask the dealership to pull the maint. history and print it out for ya. Then you can see any little things that have gone wrong in the past and how consistent the owner was at changing the oil/fuel filters on a regular basis. You can always take it to another Ford dealer to take a peek and give you their opinion on the condition...especially if you have that maint report in your hands. Good luck to ya.

Rob
2002 F350 DUALLY 6X6 CREW CAB (REDNECK CADILLAC)
Old 04-28-2006, 09:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to turbotime Send a message via Skype™ to turbotime
certainly would not be worried about the milage. 160,000 is just breaking in a diesel engine. And you really can NOT go wrong for hauling with one. I would say go for it if you haul very much because 7mpg is not so hot at worst...meaning 18,000+ lb trailer hauling...in town, with my ride was 12-13MPG. And that was, literally the worst scenario...in town stop and go, fully loaded trailer, etc. On the freeway, with load, 15-16. and 18-20 w/o a load. Just food for though...Good luck with your choice!
Old 04-29-2006, 10:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the feedback. The price is pretty good for this area (NE OK). You can't find many long bed 3/4 tons in this area; there's lots of short beds but long beds are a premium, especially in a quad cab.

Again thanks for the help.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Hey Rookie. A month or so back I sold my 99 for 15,200 with 147,000+ on the odometer. 160k isn't a whole lot more and that price is just about right. Have at it, and enjoy the power and mileage!
Old 04-30-2006, 04:21 PM

That price is good for Florida. I still see them near the $20k mark. And 160k for miles, ain't nuttin'. I am at 158k and I couldn't ask for better. As far as the build cutoff Marc was talking about, its 12/7/98 as far as which is early or late '99.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.