Rebuilt Motor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 12:09 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Rebuilt Motor

Well getting my truck back monday after being at the shop for a week. Can't wait only bad thing it mech says I need a clutch now. All the new power I have, he says he can hear the clutch slipping in overdrive when you floor it. Gonna be doing the work myself, and was curious if anyone new of any good writiups on doing it. I have done a clutch swap on a 96 cobra about 6 years ago with a buddy but nothing this big and heavy, so looking for pointers and such. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i did my clutch couple months ago.. the best thing u can buy is a floor jack transmission adapter or transmission jack.. and use a rachet strap. dont separate the transfer from trans, unless u want to.. but balancing a transfercase on a jack is a b**ch
Old 10-08-2010, 09:57 PM

Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
takes like an hr to 2 to get it out..if you have a hoist..45min lol

like he said leave the transfer case on the tranny..its just big and awkward..
Old 10-10-2010, 06:55 AM

i found out FORD recommends that you split the t-case & trany they have had some issues with the trany cracking when you remove them together & the crack create a vibration

a friend of friend did his clutch in an 01 & had a vibration so he called FORD & told them what he did & the first thing they asked him was did he separate the two....he wound up getting a new trany & installing it with his new clutch & no more vibration

just thought id pass that along
Old 10-10-2010, 07:45 AM

where would the tranny crack? everyone i talk to says leave them together, makes it easier because the balance on the jack better and saves time.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullie250 View Post
where would the tranny crack? everyone i talk to says leave them together, makes it easier because the balance on the jack better and saves time.
i would call ford & maybe a couple of trany shops see what they say
i dont know all the details on the cracked trany but the ford dealer that he talked to said they see it a lot. people do there own clutch r&r & then have a vibration problem.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:03 AM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

I just don't see how leaving the trans case on makes it balance out better. seems like it would make it heavier and more weight to one side. I know when I dropped my auto trans on my 4x4 ranger I pulled the trans case first and wasn't too bad a job. I know the 250's case is bigger and heavier but will have a jack to help.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju015dd View Post
I just don't see how leaving the trans case on makes it balance out better. seems like it would make it heavier and more weight to one side. I know when I dropped my auto trans on my 4x4 ranger I pulled the trans case first and wasn't too bad a job. I know the 250's case is bigger and heavier but will have a jack to help.

you want to talk about heavy LOL try pulling a t-case on a all wheel drive water truck or a crane truck.
we get them in some times at the PETE dealer im at
Old 10-10-2010, 09:21 AM

All told between xfer case and trans, you're looking at ~450lbs. Nothing you do is going to make it light. The height of the transmission will not allow it to come out from under a stock truck, so either use a lift or jack up one side of the truck, unless the truck is lifted. Other than the weight and size of this stuff, it's pretty standard. Make sure you resurface/replace your flywheel. Total job time is 4-5 hours.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:26 AM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

My truck is not stock height but not way up in the air by no means. I may just get her up on some 4x4s for lil extra room. Not sure If I should just go ahead and get a new flywheel or have this one resurf. wish 230k on the truck don't know if it has ever been changed out already or not. Just gotta find me a trans jack to borrow and will be good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.