Weird dealer story & need input - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 03:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weird dealer story & need input

Hey Guys , Let me first say great site . I would like some input on my trucks Fuel mileage that has been bugging me for over a yr . First I have a 2001 7.3 PSD Crew Cab 8ft bed completely stock . This is the back ground , about a 1.5 yrs ago my oil pump seals blew out when my wife was towing our camper (yes she is still my wife) it happened @ a street light & no other damage was done . The truck was towed to a ford dealer to be fixed while there I guess there was some kind of recall on the Crank or Cam positioning sensor not sure witch or even but it was some kind of sensor i know that much LOL . OK B4 all this I was getting 17mpg in town & around 20 to 22 on the highway @ 65 mph , ever since then I have been getting 14-15 in town & 16 on the highway . Also I went up north this past week moose hunting & putting around on the old tote roads ( I mean just above an idle ) I was getting 13.5! Does any of this make sense . I'm thinking I must of had some kind of down load or something & the stealer must have taken it off , is there anyway to tell .
I am looking into getting gauges & putting stacks on , if anybody has a down pipe & Y pipe I'm interested I'm going to do the DIY filter & foil delete this week . I've neglected my truck long enough but have always done my oil changes on time with fuel filter truck has 106,000 easy miles .
Thanks for any & all input .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
fuel filter?
Old 10-05-2010, 03:24 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
nevermind i just read you said you change it regularly
Old 10-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
One of the many possible benefits of the CPS recall is lower MPG, but it's not that large of a jump.

The High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) is likely the one that had a leek. If the pump was replaced the dealer probably would have used a re-manufactured pump. The pump could be running lower Injection Control Pressure (ICP) than desired causing a loss of mileage.

On the possibility of a tune that was re-flashed, can you feel any difference in power when driving the truck? If there was a tune on the truck it would have caused the overhead computer (lie-o-meter) to read incorrectly giving a false impression of good mileage.

Driving at too low of speed will actually get poor mileage. The 7.3 will burn about a gallon an hour at idle. Best mileage should generally be around 50-65 MPH depending on gearing and other factors.

Do you have a printout of what was done at the dealer? Could be helpful in giving definite answers.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:51 PM

The power might be a little less but not much I would say less responsive seems to lag more , The pump wasn't ruined just the seals were replaced . They said it was from setting to long , we had just bought the truck about a month B4 . Is there a way to check the CPU .
Old 10-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Serving Our Country!

If it's lagging more, you probably did have a tune in it. I don't know of any way to check the ECU for a previous program but the dealer should be able to tell you if it was re-flashed.

My best guess is that you were reading the overhead MPG figure and running a tune. 17/22 MPG is pushing it for these trucks and dosn't usually happen stock. 16-18MPG empty is normal for these trucks on the highway if you keep it under 2000RPM.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:17 PM

All I have is a recipe for the work & it says nothing about a reflash , just seals & recall work . If they did a diagnostic test on it , that wouldn't make them do a reflash . That is just a rumor I have heard can remember where . The avg . mpg I get are from the gallons I put in vs. mileage I drive & I do it every time I get fuel that's how I noticed the diff right off . What would be the best way to get it back wear it was mileage wise , would a muff delete help . That might be my next move , not to sure of the stacks yet , Talk me into it please LOL .
Old 10-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Serving Our Country!

Stacks can look good from the front but as soon as you walk a few feet to either side of the truck Some people like them tho.

Intake, exhaust, gauges and a chip will help your mileage if you can keep you foot off the go pedal.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:19 PM

Read my sig please.

Sorry to hear your truck hasnt been up to par.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:20 PM

Got the gauges coming , working on intake this week , slow & steady wins the race .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.