Replace front brake pads question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replace front brake pads question

i am sure there is a thread out there about this, but my search of the 99-03 forums with the keywords of "front brakes" or "replace front brakes" showed over 200 threads, none of which seem to help me with chaning the front brake pads.

Now that my rant is over, can anyone help me with a link to changing out the front pads (pics are great for me)? Are their any secrects to changing them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2010, 10:19 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
They're just standard disc brakes. No surprises.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Govy Magnet

I was never aloud to do anything relating to brakes at my house with my parents. I did them about three months ago (rotors & pads) and it was a cinch man, I thought it would be hard but I will for sure NEVER pay for anyone to touch my brakes again.
Keep in mind to chock block the rear (just for safety) have the cap off the brake fluid reservoir, have a fairly large C-clamp, and the proper brake kit. I got the upper - grade NAPA pads, and boy was I satisfied. Autozone (sometimes not the greatest) does not include new clips that hold the pads in. Also if its your first time, pick up a Haynes manual or a Chilton manual, that will make life easier with Torque specks etc. Also I checked them 100 miles afterward and again 500 miles, re-torqued and added some thread locker.

By the way I'm not trying to undermine/insult your mechanical intelligence just wasn't sure on what all you know and understand.

~Phil
Old 10-01-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambonimaxx View Post
I was never aloud to do anything relating to brakes at my house with my parents. I did them about three months ago (rotors & pads) and it was a cinch man, I thought it would be hard but I will for sure NEVER pay for anyone to touch my brakes again.
Keep in mind to chock block the rear (just for safety) have the cap off the brake fluid reservoir, have a fairly large C-clamp, and the proper brake kit. I got the upper - grade NAPA pads, and boy was I satisfied. Autozone (sometimes not the greatest) does not include new clips that hold the pads in. Also if its your first time, pick up a Haynes manual or a Chilton manual, that will make life easier with Torque specks etc. Also I checked them 100 miles afterward and again 500 miles, re-torqued and added some thread locker.

By the way I'm not trying to undermine/insult your mechanical intelligence just wasn't sure on what all you know and understand.

~Phil

Yep! Just make sure rotors are in safe range.
I always turn rotors/drums when ever I do brakes.
Just have rotors checked to make sure they aren't too thin-
That will just make you buy new ones as well.
Your life-as well as others-ride on those!
Old 03-16-2011, 03:44 PM
Banned

front brake

I agree that it's just a normal break setup and you have to be sure that the rotors are in safe range so that you won't encounter acceleration problems in the future. I found out that wagner brake is a safe type of brake for replacement so if just in case you need to replace again, just try it.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:32 PM

Also make sure the slider pins move freely. Might have to take them out and clean them up to get them to work freely. Then lubricate them ( the slider pins only) with a high temperature grease.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coot1 View Post
Also make sure the slider pins move freely. Might have to take them out and clean them up to get them to work freely. Then lubricate them ( the slider pins only) with a high temperature grease.

Yeah check the slider pins! Also have a big dead-blow hammer handy, depending on where you live and how long they have been on there the rotors and be stuck on the hub, very stuck!
Old 03-17-2011, 10:44 PM

i use anti-sieze on all my slide pins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.