Must have enhancements to a 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 11:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Must have enhancements to a 7.3

Hello everyone,

Knew to the board here, new to trucks in general. I'm in the process of buying my first Ford Truck, it's a 2001 F250 Crew Cab /w a 7.3 liter engine.

It's not going to be my primary vehicle, it's more of a 3rd vehicle used for recreational and work purposes.

My father and I are going to be plowing this winter and I want to optimize the truck before the winter hits us.

My main questions are as follows:

I see lots of different tuners and chips, exhaust mods etc. What are the must have / essentials, that I should be looking to do to my truck first.

Aside from plowing, I will be using the truck to tow my Jeep Wrangler to the Outerbanks each summer, and my father is also buying a 24 foot car trailer to use on occasion for his business.

I'll likely start off with an A-Pillar Auto Meter gauge pod, so I can monitor my transmission temp, while plowing and my boost. What other guages are important to monitor? Would a triple gauge pod be enough? or should I just go foe the quad?

I'll continue to search these forums and google around for more answers, but if anyone would be kind enough to chime in and point me in the right direction, that would be great.

My goal is to optimize my highway miles fuel economy and be able to switch modes for towing and plowing as needed.

Thanks in advanced!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2010, 12:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't know too much but I do knowthat besides trans, and boost you should also get the EGT gauge.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:22 AM

I would do some suspension and transmission upgrades if your going to be plowing. Any tuning from SCT is good but I would go subtle on the tuning. And of course AFE air intake and exhaust system. Plenty of 7.3 guys will be chiming in shortly.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yeah, the transmission upgrades are at the top of my list. Plowing is pretty brutal on a tranny and from what I've read, the transmission on the 2001's is one of the weaker links in the vehicle.

Aftermarket transmission cooling is something I'd be interested in hearing more about.

I'll have a bed sander as well, so I may need air bags or something on my rear end .
Old 10-01-2010, 01:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was looking at this gauge kit.

Thoughts?

ISSPRO Gauge Kits for Ford Powerstroke from DieselManor

Does the Pyrometer perform the same functions as the EGT? Or do I need a separate gauge for that?

Last edited by oomph; 10-01-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:10 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to williamc51
Yea you need a egt gauage your gonna want a custom tuned chip I belive you can get a 6.0 tourque convertor and put a 6.0 oil cooler on your truck besides that a transgo shift kit here is carys number at ct performance real good guy he can set you up with a complete package and he is real knowledgeable 7758353569
Old 10-01-2010, 01:11 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to williamc51
Ask him about suspension too forget to put that in there
Old 10-01-2010, 01:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Would anyone recommend a shop in Northern VA or Southern MD area? I'll need to get some of this stuff installed and I would prefer to find a reputable shop.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does using the 6.0 Torque converter help with the stall speeds? Where is the best place to get that? I saw something mentioned about it on powerstrokenation, there is a guy named John Wood that apparently does 6.0 conversions.

John Wood Automotive - Home

Can someone clarify all the benefits of this?
Old 10-01-2010, 02:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

egt and pyrometer are the same thing as far as i know, and its ALOT more important than knowing your boost. an additional tranny cooler is a nice upgrade as well, I went with this one off ebay. took less than an hour and the mount holes already line up with the two center supports of the grille frame. TRANSMISSION COOLER HD 40,000 GVW TOW TOWING TRU-COOL: eBay Motors (item 3802720y04848 end time Oct-22-10 22:02:43 PDT)

Last edited by wingnuts514; 10-01-2010 at 05:32 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.