TS CHIP PROBLEMS! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
TS CHIP PROBLEMS!

I have the TS six position chip on my 02 7.3 CC LWB 4x4. The tunes are stock, high idle, 50hp, 75hp, 100hp & maybe 120hp. I never run above the 75hp and I never hammer it. The other day going to work I felt a slight cut out in the engine. It was very minimal and another person wouldn't even noticed but I know my truck. Well bird season opened up Sept. 1 and we headed down to Del Rio to get our hunt on. I made it to Uvalde and my truck started slowly getting worse. It started cutting out pretty bad and I pulled over, put the truck in stock mode and it ran like a champ the last 50 miles. Later on some guys went to town and took my truck and I put it on 50 hp and told them to see if it cuts out. When they got back they said it was cutting out bad. Chip has been on stock mode now for three weeks and I haven't had time to mess with it. Somebody tell me you have had the same problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

there might be a lil of the waxy residue on the connectors, did you clean it good before the install?
Old 09-25-2010, 08:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I didn't install the chip. Maybe I need to check and make sure the contacts are clean. I fugured if the stock setting was working good, then that eliminated to contacts being dirty.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Could it be the injection pump? Still haven't got the truck off of stock position.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:16 AM

Did you pull the chip out & look at the contacts yet? I would run it awhile without the chip just to try to pinpoint the problem. If it don't miss without the chip then make sure your contacts are good & clean before putting it back in. Most of the time the cleaning of the contacts is the problem you hear about with the chip.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:26 AM

Dont forget if you pull the chip and look at the contacts on your computer - both side of the contact "teeth" (top and bottom) need to be cleaned of varnish. I used steel wool which seemed to work good. Just be careful.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Premium Member

Hate to say it, but check your oil level. There can be a low level condition resulting in HPOP not getting the pressure it needs, but still not show a change on the dash gauge. Just a thought.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:48 AM

Could be the chip but I don't think it would be the contact area needing to be cleaned. If so, it seems it would still act up even in the stock mode setting.

When we installed my TS chip it would simply not work if the contacts weren't cleaned enough and the truck would not even start. Then we went back and cleaned the contact points again until we got a wait to start light again and then it fired right up.

Oil level is never a bad place to check because these trucks will NOT run correctly once the oil level is below a certain point. Hope this helps
Old 10-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll check oil level. One thing I did change after I got the chip installed was get an aftermarket intake kit. Got the B&S model and didn't know if this would effect the chip tune.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Filled up the other day and reached down and turned knob from stock to 50hp and it was shuttering before I left the parking lot. As soon as I push the accelerator you could tell it wasn't right. Soon as I get a chance I'll check oil level and contact points.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.