black smoke (and how to get rid of it) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
black smoke (and how to get rid of it)

Yeah..yeah..I know..I'm going against the grain here but to me, all that black smoke out the tail pipe is just fuel I'm paying the buck for but gettin no bang out of...and yeah, I kinda feel sorry for the poor smuck behind me who hasta breathe all that soot. Anyway, I've noticed with Jody's chip, (set at 80 econ) whenever I have to "get on it", ie pulling a grade before it downshifts outta O/D, theres a heck of a lot of dark, black, undoubtedly smelly, soot coming out of that pipe. Anyway to either eliminate, or at least dramatically reduce this??? and NO, I can't afford a gasser..LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Add air!!!

Seriously.. if you want to burn all the fuel you have to make sure there is enough air present. You have several options, but I'm sorry to say none of them inexpensive!!!
Old 06-09-2007, 04:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to jngreen
you shouldnt have that much smoke on an economy setting..... maybe you have a boost leak?
Old 06-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

I run around on the extreme setting on my DP (140 no smoke) and only get the cloud when I get right into it, and only right off the line for a bit.

Gord.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:14 PM

Go back to an all factory set up. That may also take the fun factor out of your ride tho!
Old 06-09-2007, 08:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to ~CrazyDiesel~ Send a message via MSN to ~CrazyDiesel~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~CrazyDiesel~
Howard,

I want to know, what on earth did it turn out to be wrong with the truck?
I praise god that the truck is running great now. Believe me man, your vehicle is not the norm, never ever heard of one having such problems, but glad it's running good now.

Probably the best thing you could do at this point, to reduce your smoke, assuming everything else is good, would be to at the very least, cut out your muffler, or get a Walker Big Truck Muffler (quite cheap and is not loud) that is straight through design.
now that you have full gauges, what are you seeing for boost 20ish # right?

As for your intake, you could always custom make one out of exhaust tubing.

Even if it connects to the stock air filter box, if you get rid of the rubber with all of the ribbing and such that restricts airflow, that would also help. I forget where the E-series gets it's air from. Would it be possible to do a zoodad mod?
Old 06-10-2007, 05:03 AM

Zoodad...not a chance. As for what the problems turned out to be...in a nut shell, sediment in the fuel tank clogging up the intake screen and an injector skip. These Morons at Allegheny Ford did everything they knew to NOT fix the problem..Scott (Scuffy) knew right from square one what my problems were..no guessing and no bull schyt. After I finally got the tank cleaned, was able to get it to him dome Winston Salem way. Hell...the instant I started it he knew what was wrong. He had the bad injector identified, pulled out, new injector installed and the whole rig up and running in less time than it would have taken me to figure out where to start! And thats NO BULL SCHYT! That man Knows what he's doing. As for boost levels...going up hill, loaded, pedal to the metal, the absolute MOST I've ever seen was 12-13PSI. No apparent boost leaks that I can detect by ear, and frankly, theres no one around here I'd trust not to sell me parts I don't need.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:16 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
The tuner is going to cause a little smoke but i would not think a whole lot on an econo setting. As far as boost levels go i am not sure about that with the van turbo. They are different than the SD turbo. dont know if they put out as much boost.

Dont know about a boost leak from what i hear Scott is a great mechanic. I am sure he wouldve caught that
Old 06-10-2007, 06:14 AM

Mine will smoke on Jody's 80 econo as much as my old edge evo would on the highest setting(puffin' when I stick my foot in it) and with the 120 I'm seeing 25-29lb's of boost gettin' on it.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:57 AM

I wish I really knew just what the he** my boost was "supposed" to be...just seems kinda wimpy from the numbers everyone else seems to be posting with a stock turbo. I know that right now, replacing the turbo...well, thats right alongside with winning the Lotto. And yeah...without a doubt Scott is one hell of a mechanic...as far as I'm concerned..he's a legend in his own time. He knows his stuff, doesn't give ya any bull schyt and won't rape ya in the wallet. I've already made it clear that anytime I need work done on my rig, I'll get it the 400 odd miles to him just to have him fix it. The man needs to be brought up for Sainthood...Knighthood at least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.