Please Check your brakes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please Check your brakes

So my mom has a 01 7.3 cc dullay and lost all braking and the left rear locked up on her. This is what I found last night

With that being said I suggest if you havent checked your brakes in a while I would do so the inner pad was gone just the plate that holds the ceramic on and the rivets which was wedged inbetween the caliper mount and the rotor. I would also suggest checking your slide pins it took a torch being on it for 10 minutes and a air chisel to get the slide pins out. I am just wanting to warn you guys and no i didnt reuse the caliper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2010, 04:50 PM

yeah a few weeks ago i had a guy have his 07 mercedes towed in bc the back tires where locking up. no pics but what happened was he wore the pads down to metal and kept going till they got thin enough to slide down out of the cailper half way and catch the rim and lock up the tire. lol fixed it newcalipers and all and informed him his fronts where down almost to the rivets he said thats ok i can get a few more miles out of them....i just dont get people.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Shake and Bake!

Dang! I'll take a look at mine before I head out for work tomorrow. That sucks! Glad she is O.K!
Old 09-19-2010, 05:48 PM
Serving Our Country!

Yep, you guys that live where they use salt on the roads, need to check them out for sure. Slide pins need to be able to work.
Doug
Old 09-19-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD40 View Post
Yep, you guys that live where they use salt on the roads, need to check them out for sure. Slide pins need to be able to work.
Doug
Which is exactly why this happened
Old 09-20-2010, 12:09 PM

Had this happen to me earlier this summer but it was the right rear. I drove for two weeks hearing a noise but couldn't quite pin point where it was coming from. Then on the way to work one morning it became very obvious, by the time I picked up the parts I needed and got back home I only had about an 1/8" of rotor thickness left, the pistons had completely wore it down. I replaced everything in the rear and the pads & sliders in the front. This is more common than it should be, I would really like to know why the inside pad wears so much faster??
Old 09-20-2010, 12:19 PM

This looks very familiar. My best friend just ignored the grinding sound coming from his brakes and finally the little piece of metal crumpled up and rip the caliper up. All the fluid ran out and he had to get towed home.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
So my mom has a 01 7.3 cc dullay and lost all braking and the left rear locked up on her. This is what I found last night

With that being said I suggest if you havent checked your brakes in a while I would do so the inner pad was gone just the plate that holds the ceramic on and the rivets which was wedged inbetween the caliper mount and the rotor. I would also suggest checking your slide pins it took a torch being on it for 10 minutes and a air chisel to get the slide pins out. I am just wanting to warn you guys and no i didnt reuse the caliper
YES SIR!
SAFETY FIRST--Always--Never know what precious cargo is riding on those brakes!
Old 09-20-2010, 06:59 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
And they never listen to the noise of that?? That is one of those people
that think if it runs and moves it is all good. Complete lack of any sense
of hearing and logic...
Old 09-21-2010, 06:21 AM

Mine looked the same a few years ago... good thing it went out in the hay field, going 2 mph on flat ground (hard to find here in WV), bad that my mom was driving. I had just gotten the truck a few months earlier, and didn't hear anything, and it had been stopping fine, or so I thought. And they wern't that bad when I got the truck not long before, I checked it out at a shop the day I bought it, before I brought it home. New rotors, calipers and e brake shoes and was ready to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.