Howling Noise . . . TC or Turbo?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 07:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Howling Noise . . . TC or Turbo??

I can't isolate the noise. I am trying to tell if it is the Turbo or Transmission. I took the inlet tube off of the turbo and had the truck running . . . everything seemed normal and the noise wasn't louder. Compressor kept spinning after shutoff and had no extra play in bearings.

This all happened after I stabbed the gas pedal to make a yellow light about a month ago. The trans shifts fine, temp is normal (160-180) and the noise winds down after truck shutoff.

Please give some insight if you can I am coming up on plowing season soon and will need this truck. Also it will be my daily driver in the winter.

It sounds like a police siren if that helps any that's why I was leaning towards the trans more but I'm not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 08:17 AM

Well if it's makin the noise right after you shut the truck off I would say turbo I could be wrong but I don't think the TC free spins after the motor is shut down I can hear my turbo coast down for about 2-3 sec after the truck shuts off
Old 09-17-2010, 08:20 AM

Also when my TC went out it would make a swishing noise if I was sitting ata stop light it was pretty noticeable
Old 09-17-2010, 10:06 AM

What does a bad bearing in a turbo sound like??
Old 09-17-2010, 10:59 AM

My truck sounds like this . . .
Old 09-17-2010, 05:07 PM

Hmm never heard that sound before did you lose any power might have blown an intercooler boot off but usually they smoke and lose alot of power. Kinda sounds like my truck a little when the Fan clutch engages. As far as a bad bearing in the turbo I havnt ever had one go bad so I couldn't tell ya. Hopefully someone else will chim in and have some more input. Check all the boots goin to the turbo too and the downpipe area. That is deff loud though I would would say it's not the TC though
Old 09-20-2010, 08:20 AM

I don't think it's the turbo . . . Leaning more towards a bearing in the transmission. Trans will be coming out at the beginning of next month for a full overhaul and rebuild. Don't really have the extra money for this but I don't want to buy a newer truck and have another payment either. (was contemplating that . . . LOL)

Last edited by Quickhorse; 09-20-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM View Post
Hmm never heard that sound before did you lose any power might have blown an intercooler boot off but usually they smoke and lose alot of power. Kinda sounds like my truck a little when the Fan clutch engages. As far as a bad bearing in the turbo I havnt ever had one go bad so I couldn't tell ya. Hopefully someone else will chim in and have some more input. Check all the boots goin to the turbo too and the downpipe area. That is deff loud though I would would say it's not the TC though
No power loss that I can tell. I will check the boots but I have had them off several times when I did injectors and glow plugs so I would think they are ok but I will double check anyhow.

Also, I have a good amount of smoke at startup and pretty much a small steady stream when running even when warmed up but I figured that was from the bigger injectors since the truck doesn't really go through any oil other than what's allowed by ford.

Anyone else have bigger injectors and smoke on startup even when it's warm out?? Not as bad when above 80 but still apparent.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:14 AM

Well hope you get it figured out with not spending too much money.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM View Post
Well hope you get it figured out with not spending too much money.
I hear ya . . . went to pick up my friends new truck a couple weeks ago in North Carolina (08 crew 6.4) and it made me want to get one but I still love this truck too much to give up yet. Can't let every little thing get you down but I'm also not going to spend 10k fixing it. Also seen how easy the new ones make power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.