Body Swap? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Body Swap?

Ok so my truck has quite a bit of rot under the truck. It was used as a salt and plow truck for a few years of its life. I currently have a lead on a cab and a new bed for it. My question is, has anyone ever done this on one of these trucks. I did it on my 71, but it isn't as complicated. So my question is, is this something that could be done with some help from some friends and some cold beer. Or am I biting off more than I can chew?? A long with this I was going to blast the frame and por 15 it, to keep it from having anymore issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I remember seeing a project awhile back were some one put a 05 cab on a 99 frame because it rolled. Anything can be done with determination.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:15 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You'll probably need about 6 guys to get the cab off, and it'll probably take a few days to figure out all of the wiring, but yes, it can be done. The bed is the easiest part... 8 bolts, 2 electrical connections, and the filler tube. 3 guys can easily remove the bed, but use 4 guys if its the new fresh bed to be extra careful. We put my new bed on using two 10' 2x4s and carried it "egyptian style", so that way we didn't have to worry about getting it over the tires.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:00 PM

Piece of cake-just get a game plan
If you can find a gantry,trolley,and chainfall/come-along to rent ,it's no problem-just get some guys to help hold steady when raising/lowering
Just label all plugs and be CAREFUL!!--NO ACCIDENTS!!!Good luck!
Old 09-15-2010, 07:17 PM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR View Post
I remember seeing a project awhile back were some one put a 05 cab on a 99 frame because it rolled. Anything can be done with determination.
I swapped a full cab and bed from an 03 king Ranch F350 to my 2000 ROLLED F250 . My son and I did all the work and it was running in 2 weeks . The 03 had the 6.0 and my 2000 had the 7.3. We pulled out the wiring harnesses from both and swapped them , swapped dash, made a few wiring harnesses and was finished in 4 weeks , then I waited 8 weeks for the DMV to issue me a new title. I had to go through the DMV because I needed to put comprehensive and collision on it. When it was all said and done , It was really simple and straight forward, we lifted the bodies with my 25 ton crane which made a world of difference . Check out my gallery for pictures of the swap.

Last edited by greasyF250; 09-15-2010 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 09-15-2010, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I have a lead on an 02 F250 2WD. It should be pretty cut and dry as far as wiring harness and stuff goes. I am getting ready to check out your gallery. Thanks for the info! Hopefully this guy gets back to me on the cab!
Old 09-16-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasyF250 View Post
I swapped a full cab and bed from an 03 king Ranch F350 to my 2000 ROLLED F250 . My son and I did all the work and it was running in 2 weeks . The 03 had the 6.0 and my 2000 had the 7.3. We pulled out the wiring harnesses from both and swapped them , swapped dash, made a few wiring harnesses and was finished in 4 weeks , then I waited 8 weeks for the DMV to issue me a new title. I had to go through the DMV because I needed to put comprehensive and collision on it. When it was all said and done , It was really simple and straight forward, we lifted the bodies with my 25 ton crane which made a world of difference . Check out my gallery for pictures of the swap.
Hmm,don't have one of those cranes,now I'm jealous,all I had was a peice of crap gantry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.