What to expect out of a 7.3 that I hope to have soon - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 01:51 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What to expect out of a 7.3 that I hope to have soon

Well if all goes well I will be getting a 2002 F250 CCSB, Lariat, 4X4 with the 7.3 in the next week or so. The truck has 163,000 miles on it but has alot of goodies installed such as 6" or 8" lift, 20" Moto Metal wheels, 40" Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's, CAI, Edge programmer, extra trans cooler with deep aluminum transmission pan as well as a shift kit for the transmission.

This truck looks awesome and I'm super excited about getting it but it is coming from a dealership so I don't know the previous owner and don't know how the truck was taken care of. What kinda things should I expect to have to replace in the near future with this kinda mileage on the truck.

Also it has the original transmission which kinda scares me but I'm hoping with the shift kit, the deep aluminum pan and the extra trans cooler will make the transmission last, Am I wrong in thinking this. This will be my first diesel and I a little concerned that I will get the truck and a few months later things will start going wrong and from what I understand repairing these trucks isn't cheap.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

diesel=not cheap for anyting! but thats cause they dont break much lol. first thing I would do is toss the edge and get some custom tunes, I would guess thats why it has all that stuff is cause the last guy was worried about the trans.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:32 PM

Would 163,000 miles be considered alot for that engine, I have also heard that along with the transmission that the front end is a weak point in these trucks.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to AaronATX
163k isn't a lot, my 2001 is just over that and it still pulls as strong as the day I got it. Ball joints and tranny are definitely known to go bad. Since it has an edge on it, I'd be weary of the transmission; you don't know whether or not the previous owner was hard on it. then again, with a shift kit and extra fluid you might be fine.. either way I'd ditch the edge first thing and get a custom tuned chip.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:47 PM
riddin' high

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dasaliac03 Send a message via Skype™ to Dasaliac03
good deal

that kind of mileage is what i would consider normal to low. edge is a nice programmer, my pops runs one on his truck and its exactally what he was looking for. Yea, custom tunes are nice, but i would have been just as happy with an SCT with beans tunes or something

with the 40's, tranny may or may not be good. ive never had to deal with a diesel with tires that big and heavy so im not real sure in that department, but it should be ok. The more power you try to shove out of it, the sooner it will mess up id guess

throw some pics of the rig up! lets see what we got to work with

Happy Strokin!
Old 09-14-2010, 03:25 PM

Oh I will definatley post some pics when I bring it home.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:00 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
With those big tires, I'd be willing to bet money that the transmission and ball joints have already been replaced...
Old 09-14-2010, 05:11 PM

The ball joints probally have benn replaced but the oasis report didn't show any transmission work and the prvious owner said he had not rebuilt or replaced it.

I forgot to add that the truck has 4.56 gears.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

you can expect rainbows, butterflies and sunshine. I just bought the same truck, but iit only had 78K on it..I dumped my 04 Ex that had a 6.0. Best move ive ever made. (vehicle wise)
My brother in law has an 01 with 190K, he just had his tranny rebuilt about 10K ago, it was only $2,800.00. (Weatherford Tx.)

Congrats and enjoy your diesel.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:50 PM

163 heck its still a pup ditch the edge i hear it is bad for the trans the 7.3 is bullet proof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.