Upgrade Suggestions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 10:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Upgrade Suggestions

I recently purchased my first diesel, 2000 F250 SB/CC Lariet. Bought with less than 100k on it. Stock truck, all original has never towed anything that needed brake controller (I installed recently) and drives like a new one except for the driveshaft clunk that seems to be an issue for these trucks. Looking for advice on upgrades on a budget. Trans. kits, air/exhaust and possibly a tuner. I am planning on towing my 10k fifth wheel. Just looking for economical upgrades to give me more power without burning anything up. Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

guages, tranny cooler, guages intake and exhaust if needed, and maybe a VB.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:31 AM
riddin' high

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dasaliac03 Send a message via Skype™ to Dasaliac03
welcome to the diesel family

good find!
go with a more free flowing exhaust, 4" or even 5", will have lower egt's and a little more power, speaking of which, you need gauges
trans temp, boost, egt, and maybe eot.
As for tuner, theres plenty of good ones out there! Tony wildman, PHP, DP TUNER!!!!!!!!!!!! or you can get a handheld programmer and have custom tunes loaded to it, SCT x3 are very nice for this
Old 09-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does anyone make something that will plug into the onboard OBD? That can display info from the trucks computer to give me any of this data? Or will I have to buy gauges and then install individual sensors etc to give me this info.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:44 PM

The clunk can easily be fixed by paying your dealership 160 bucks to grease the splined shaft or do it yourself....

thats THE fix....trust me i just did it.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Already did that. Still have the problem when I pull off quick with the camper in tow. Acts like it's in a bind. Pops 4 or 5 times till it get's rolling good. Has some play in it. Will probably have a new end put in at sometime with a grease fitting.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:15 AM

I have about $800 in the mods to my truck. Simple... gauges, summet sells a A-piller pod and gauges (boost, egt, trans temp) that you need. Not a hard install, lots of advice here on that... Intake, get a wix 6637 (I think that's the part number, correct me on that if I'm wrong) air filter and the DIY intake mod will take about a half an hour with the filter and about $5 in hardware. Exhaust, straight pipe it, ditch the muffler. Not obnoxiously loud (my trucks are company trucks, painted/lettered, trying to keep a professionial look) and mine was free, I had the pipe and welder in the garage. A shop shouldn't charge much... $10 in pipe, and less than an hour??? The stock exhaust is fine for up to 400 HP from what others who's option I trust have posted here, the 'bottle neck' is the muffler. Once that restriction is gone, you need major mods (injectors, big turbo, etc) to really need a huge exhaust.

Once you get all that done, think about a tuner. I have a DP Tuner, almost 2 years now. I really like it... there are also other good ones out there, I have not used others. Meny will say to not waste time with anything else, just get a good tuner DP, TW, etc. I did it, and never looked back. Run my truck daily on the 80 HP econo tune. Tap a button, and I got 40 HP tow tune... so easy. Down hill, tap a button, I got a decelleration tune... great for towing, saves over heated brakes.

Best of luck with your new find... that truck should last you a long time...
Old 09-15-2010, 05:45 AM

well put!
Old 09-15-2010, 05:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

trany coolers are a must! try to keep fluid at 160 wich is ideal temp. stock works with engine cooling at 210ish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.