Noise that I thought was brake related... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Noise that I thought was brake related...

So my neighbors F250 makes a noise like the brakes are digging into the rotor... It only does it when turning right and only every once and a while. Today we changed the rotors and pads but it still made the noise on the test drive after we finished up. I looked under it after we got back to the house and I noticed a good dent in his steering stabilizer. I'm debating on changing it next but I don't want to get into just chasing after the issue. His truck has 130K on it and no front end parts have been changed so I'm sure a lot could be done. Any other things to look at??? The truck is just a daily driver from an older couple so its had an easy life. I'm actually working on him to sell it to me, been for 2 years now...
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 06:07 AM

I had a similar noise. I thought it might have been the brakes squeaking (constantly) but when I applied the pedal, it didn't make any difference. Get underneath and check out the driveshaft u-joints. Grab the shaft and jerk on it. Mine was wasted, I replaced all 3 u-joints, yolk straps, and the cv ball, which isn't on all trucks. It started out as a squeaking noise, then turned into a vibration, then a clunking feeling/noise. You might also check the exhaust, make sure everything is tight and in the hangers. I would also check all the wheel bearings and ball joints, jack up the truck and grab hold of the tire and see if it has any play. The steering stabilizer might be doing it, but not likely. Take if off then drive it. Might be a good time to replace it anyway, if it has never been changed before. Good luck.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:10 AM
Don't you worry about it

maybe its one of the hub bearings in the front wheel and thats why it only does it when you turn right?
Old 09-09-2010, 11:24 AM

Hub bearings.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:53 PM

Thanks for the info all. I'm thinking it is the hub bearings at this point too. I've looked at everything else I can see easily.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:45 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Needle bearings in the hub bearing assembly. Which ARE replaceable.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:29 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
OK, it's only going o be needle brgs if the truck is 4WD. If it IS, manually lock the hub and the noise will go away IF it's coming from the needles.

You can also have Ball Joints that are So Bad that the caliper bracket will scrape the rotor (you'll see the marks ) and gives the same sound as the pads scraping will. I know you said the FE parts were replaced, but check 'em anyhow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.