Isspro transmission gauge fluctuating. Need some input on some causes!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Isspro transmission gauge fluctuating. Need help! Cooler install or electrical????

I've had my gauge installed for a few months, and all of a sudden I noticed the gauge needle would start to jump around. Seemed primarily when I would brake (originally thought maybe fluid sloshing around or something). The temp reading would seem to be normal, but most often would jump up/down to a different temperature while braking and then back to normal while braking again. So I was sent out a whole new transmission gauge assembly from Isspro. At first I installed just the new gauge, control module, and temperature sender (not the cable going to gauge or cable going to sender) but the gauge would still jump. What was odd is one time I had my truck in park (I think the engine was even off but key on) and I would pump the brake and I could see the needle on the gauge move as I pumped the brake. After this, I installed the cable that runs to the gauge itself. Drove for like 4 days and it appeared to be OK, but then I noticed it jumped a couple of times yesterday (haven't been able to repeat the fluctuation in park like before).

So here is some other info or concerns that I'm wanting feedback. Around the same time (not sure how long after when I noticed the gauge jump) I installed a used 6.0 transmission cooler (did my own flush as good as I could), and installed a Tekonsha P3 brake controller (just a plug n' play wiring harness, no actual wiring required). Here is my biggest concern, when I installed the 6.0 cooler I plugged the ends of the hoses with balled up painters tape to prevent any dirt/debris from getting in the lines as I ran them. I'm pretty anal/ocd when I work on things. So I'm pretty dang sure I pulled out the tape before installing all lines and fittings. But since the gauge fluctuation thing, there is a small part of me that worries maybe I forgot one. But here is the thing, the truck drives and shifts just fine, and it doesn't overheat. I'm leaning towards an electrical thing due to things mentioned above, but would like to get feedback.

Could a blocked fitting (from my tape) be causing my gauge to act as it is (but wouldn't I notice a problem with my tranny shifting or overheating)? I have even towed my trailer since then with no issues other than my gauge needle jumping (haven't noticed anything with my stock transmission gauge on the dash). Or is it likely something with my brake controller (again, no wiring involved, it just plugs in with a harness)? Also, there seems to be no rhyme or reason when it starts to act up (other than it seems most often when I brake - I thought at first it might have just been fluid sloshing because of the sudden stop in momentum, but just don't know whether that is even really possible).

Sorry for the long message. Just trying to put my mind at ease that it probably isn't due to my cooler install, and to find out what the likely cause might be. Any help appreciated........

Last edited by SJB; 09-06-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Kind of makes me think its a ground problem when you say it does it when you hit the brake?
Old 09-06-2010, 08:53 PM

I have the same problem with my ISSPRO EV trans temp gauge. Diesel Manor sent me a troubleshooting guide last week, but I can't tell from troubleshooting if its the gauge, amplifier box, or sensor since the problem comes and goes. The gauge sometimes starts at around 130 degrees when cold instead of 100 degrees (the lowest temp on the gauge). I will probably ask them to send me all 3 components.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caschu0 View Post
I have the same problem with my ISSPRO EV trans temp gauge. Diesel Manor sent me a troubleshooting guide last week, but I can't tell from troubleshooting if its the gauge, amplifier box, or sensor since the problem comes and goes. The gauge sometimes starts at around 130 degrees when cold instead of 100 degrees (the lowest temp on the gauge). I will probably ask them to send me all 3 components.
Isspro sent me a complete replacement. I swapped out everything so far except for the cable that goes thru the floorboard and connects to the temperature probe, but these didn't really fix the problem. I think I might try and redo my power and ground connections to see if there is any difference. It is tough because it comes and goes (sometimes I can drive for a few days with no issues and think it is fixed but then all of a sudden comes back).

I'm curious if there is a remote possibility that it could be caused from a clog on my cooler install, or not likely (due to symptoms described) and because the truck shifts fine and doesn't overheat?
Old 09-07-2010, 04:33 AM

I don't think it would have anything to do with a clog in the cooler. I'm wondering if it could be the wires we had to lengthen that run to the temp sensor/probe? You said that was the only piece of the original system you didn't replace and the fact that they had to be lengthened could possibly screw with the signal....
Old 09-07-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caschu0 View Post
I don't think it would have anything to do with a clog in the cooler. I'm wondering if it could be the wires we had to lengthen that run to the temp sensor/probe? You said that was the only piece of the original system you didn't replace and the fact that they had to be lengthened could possibly screw with the signal....
I'm going to check those connections along with the power and ground today.

Last edited by SJB; 09-07-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:56 AM

Good luck and let me know what you find.....
Old 09-07-2010, 02:44 PM

I checked a few of the connections today. I didn't really find anything wrong with the ground, but I went ahead and moved the connection anyway. The power connection is hooked in with a scotch lock connector. As far as I can tell, it looks OK (would think the gauge would go completely dead if this wasn't working correctly). I checked the added on connections to the cable going to the temperature probe. My friend used butt connectors and they appeared to be tight. One thing I did notice was that the cable going to the temperature probe was zip tied to the cable that attaches to my brake pedal (I guess the cable for the brake light switch or something, not sure). I don't know if maybe it could have been getting interference off of that brake cable or not? So I ended up moving the cable and zip tied it out of the way in a different spot. I haven't really driven it much to see if any of this corrected the problem, but I'm crossing my fingers. If anybody else has any ideas, please share......

Last edited by SJB; 09-07-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:20 PM

I called Diesel Manor today and Isspro is sending me another amplifier box for my trans temp gauge.....I hope it works.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:59 AM

I installed the new amplifier box and have the same problem....on a cold truck the trans temp gauge jumps to 130-135 degrees when the key is turned to the on position. I'm going to call them and ask for a new gauge and sensor. Has anyone else had the problem that SJB and I are having?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.