Right coolant as important as right oil!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 05:28 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Right coolant as important as right oil!!!

So I have not seen a really really good write-up on coolant so I wanted to take a min and give some info. Some say coolant can be as important as oil to the long term life of your truck....let me know what you guys think.

Most people think as long as antifreeze isnt freezing and the truck isn't overheating then the coolant is acceptable. When in fact studies have shown that over 40% of engine problems are indirectly or directly related to improper coolant formulation or poor upkeep of coolant additives.

Diesel engine coolant should contain:

-Water with aceptiable chem properties.
-Antifreeze suitable for deisel application.
-Supplemental Coolant Addivtive (SCA)

Water alone provides 10-15 degrees less boil-over protection.

Untreated water (even drinking quality water) tends to be corrosive in the cooling system enviroment. Water alone should never be used as coolant except in an emergency. Most local supplies can be used as coolant when treated with SCA and Some areas have high mineral content or corrosive chemicals that cannot be treated with SCA.

Corrosion - Attack of metal surfaces. Can result in perforation of the metal wall, such as cylinder walls.

Deposits - Coating build up on cooling system surfaces. Drastically reduces heat transfer and plugs passages. Localized overheating can result in cavitation, cracking or seizure.

Ethylene Glycol (EG) based antifreeze is the most available and is suitable for freeze and boil over protection.

Propylene Glycol (PG) based antifreeze has better cavitation corrosion protection then EG and is preferred for diesel engines. However, the limited availability of low silicat PG antifreeze prevents widespread use in diesel engines at this time.

Methyl alcohol or methoxy proponol based antifreeze are no acceptable.
Antifreeze should have a 0.10% silicate level or less. Using high silicate antifreeze in diesel engines can result in silicate gelation (the formation of green slime) which plugs collant passages in the engine and radiator.

Your antifreeze concentration should be between 40-60% depending on expected ambient temp. Never exceed 68% concentration because freeze protection is diminished and the high concentration can plug coolant passages and cause overheating or deposit on water pump seals causing seal leakage. Min 40% for imporved boil-over temp.

The differences in engine design, load factor and utilization rate require specialized products to protect the diesel engine coolant system. SCA's have been used in diesel engines since the mid 1950's to meet those special needs. SCA provides:

Buffer - control PH
Anti-Foam
General Corrosion Protection
Cavitation Corrosion Protection
Scale Inhibitor - prevents deposits on hot surfaces (1/16" of scale on cylinder sleeves retards heat trasfer as much as 4-1/2" of cast iron!!!!!!) Excessive scale buildup can cause piston score damage.
Anti-Fouling - limits oil and dirt build-up on metal surfaces

SCA precharge for initial system fill is 3-6% by volume in liquid form. A srevice dose is then added every 500 hours or 15,000 miles to make up for additive lost due to depletion and dilution. Typical service dose is 1/3-1/4 that of the prechage amount. Do not exceed recommended treatment levels! Overtreatment can cause additive to precipitate onto water pump seals and degrade their performances.

Information from Ford booklet titled Prevent Cavitation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2010, 05:31 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

I'm replacing mine this weekend. Going with ELC meeting the Cat specification. No additives required for first 300,000 miles.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have exhausted the local knowledge base (took 5 minutes on the phone) about the ELC . I know Shell Rotella makes the red ELC that meets CAT specs but there are alot of other coolant colors and brands that call themselves ELC. can someone tell me the actual CAT spec number we need to ensure the right stuff is in the bottle??

Thanks
Old 09-03-2010, 07:37 AM

this link might help hover http://www.cat.com/cda/files/87058/7/elcfaq.pdf not exacly what you asked but should help u understand
Old 09-03-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I'm replacing mine this weekend. Going with ELC meeting the Cat specification. No additives required for first 300,000 miles.
300,000 miles 3000 hours or 3 years dont forget that part
Old 09-03-2010, 07:48 AM

nice thread! so where id best to by coolant concentrate? all i can find around here is the 50/50 mix. and why cant i use 50/50 if im going to make 50/50 from teh concentrate anyway?
Old 09-03-2010, 07:59 AM

you can use 50/50 just a lil more exensive
Old 09-03-2010, 08:29 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverp View Post
I have exhausted the local knowledge base (took 5 minutes on the phone) about the ELC . I know Shell Rotella makes the red ELC that meets CAT specs but there are alot of other coolant colors and brands that call themselves ELC. can someone tell me the actual CAT spec number we need to ensure the right stuff is in the bottle??

Thanks
You can be sure a company like Caterpillar is NOT in the coolant manufacturing business

They buy it from someone who is... (IIRC Shell makes it for them)

Shell, Cat, Fleetright, all products you don't have to worry about.....
Old 09-03-2010, 09:38 AM

Called my local CAT tractor dealer He has it.... , nobody else carries it. No parts stores/walmart/radiator shop.

So start there if your searching for it.

1 gallon or 5 gallon jugs of ELC meets CAT EC-1 spec goes for $11.40 a gallon.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:37 PM

just called Ford/International. they dont carry concentrate, the only coolant they stock is the Shell 50/50 for 7.95 a gal. seems fair price...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.