trans cooler upgrade - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 06:20 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
trans cooler upgrade

I recently got my truck out of the transmission shop. Thankfully under warranty on the rebuild, all the clutches were shot and I didn't have reverse.

Anyway I went ahead and bought gauges for it and I was suprised to find that my trans temp gauge always reads between 180* and 200*. It hasn't gone over 200 yet, but I havent pushed it by hauling anything either. It's 94
degrees here and I'm just normal driving, unloaded and seeing these temps.

I'm going to Colorado in October, where I will be loaded down, and going through the mountains, so I was thinking of either adding a larger capacity transmission pan (Mag-Hytec), or doing a trans cooler upgrade.

I need some advise on what to look for (I know where a 6.0 superduty is at a scrap yard if that would be beneficial) and what parts I would need to complete an upgrade.

Questions I have are:
Do I replace my cooler with a larger version or just add another in line?
What parts are needed with either scenario?
What degree trans temperatures should I be aiming for?

And pictures are always a plus.

Thanks. Here's my specs:

2000 F250 7.3 CC LB 4x4
4R100 tranny on fresh rebuild
270,000 miles and counting
Bully Dog power pup set at level 2 (+75HP)
4" MBRP turbo back exhaust
DIY 6637 Filter/Intake
Zoo Dad, boost fooler
Ranch hand replacements front/rear
Rawson Koenig Headache rack/toolbox combo
305/70/16 BFG MT KM2
4" Procomp Suspension Lift
Glo Shift Boost, trans temp and pyro pillar gauges
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2010, 08:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have a 2000 F250 with 2WD. I added a Cooler to the factory cooler. Unless you can get a 6.0 cooler for cheap, all you need is a second cooler added. Used cooler is not good unless you know it does not contain debris inside. If you choose the 6.0, you bypass the original factory cooler.

Best temperature for transmission fluid is 160 degrees. Above 200 degrees is not recommended.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:04 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I wouldn't stack coolers as you may loose flow. Pay the $$ for a 6.0 cooler or the bigest Perma-cooler you can fit.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:13 PM

Get the 6.0 cooler from the yard, some 3/8" to 1/2" barbed fittings (I think those are the sizes if I remember correctly), and about 4 feet of oil safe 1/2" hose. The 6.0 cooler blots right in place of the 7.3 cooler and all you do is cut the hose coming out of the trans, install the barbs, new hose to the new cooler.

Flush the new cooler first and you'll be fine. We were under $50 into my dad's on his truck said and done with a couple hours of work stopping for smoke breaks, to play with the dogs, and go feed the horses.

Just saturday he pulled 3 1/2 cords of wood (approx 8K lbs + our trailer) 100+ miles and the warmest temps he saw even pulling uphill was 164 degrees. Cheap insurance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.