Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Wiring Trailer Brake Controller

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Loneranger 
#1 ·
I could not find it in the owners manual where it tells me how to wire in a trailer brake controller. Could someone please help me out?

Thanks

Kirk

#2 ·
I do not have a pigtail. Will I need to get one or can I do it without?

#3 · (Edited)
There is a factory plug under the drivers side dash. Most brake controller companies make model specific wiring adapters for vehicles. If you take off the cover under the steering wheel, you will see a gray plug attached to the metal support at the right side. The adapter harness plugs into it. It is SOOOO much easier to use the adapter and you do not run the risk of screwing it up by attaching the wrong wire anywhere.

First try at adding a pic:

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy54/solid98_album/Superduty Stuff/01F250TrailerBrakePlug.jpg

#4 ·
That is NOT the trailer brake harness. This is (connector with the blue wire going to it). It's a pain in the *** to get to.

Get it from the Ford dealer, or get a pre-wired one from
Ford Brake Controller | etrailer.com

:thumb:

#6 ·
Nope... The harness (your end of it) isn't installed from the factory, it is in the glove box. :thumb:

#7 ·
I got the pigtail harness today. Pretty simple to hook up. Thanks Guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.