Newbie Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie Questions

Hello all. I am pretty good with engines but I am a newbie when it comes to both diesels and the forum. I just bought a 2000 xlt 4x4 supercab shortbed. It runs well and seems to be in good overall condition. It does have a mod that i am not sure about and was hoping someone could shed some light.

On the dash between the stearing column and the 4x4 shift knob there is another knob. It has 6 or so settings, 3 of which seem to do nothing except 1 wont let the truck go over 65 mph, and the other 3 at idle will bump the idle up from 700-800rpm to 1500rpm just sitting. I havent really tested all the settings at different speeds etc for fear of damaging something.

I have not been able to locate any brand or name on the knob and have not yet been able to tear into the dash looking. Any ideas of what this might be would help me a great deal. I do not want to damage anything by running on the incorrect setting.

Is there certain information from certain places on the truck that might be good for me to have in asking questions on the forum (Tranny, etc). Thanks

Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That is a tuning chip. the one setting that wont let it go over 65 is valet mode. the other one is a high idle setting. good for warming up or keeping AC cold. the rest are horsepower setting. you will notice a difference while driving with those. they are usually 50-75-100-140hp settings
Old 08-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for your reply. I thought it was some sort of tuner. Going from 12 o clock, clock wise the first setting (12oclock)= High RPM, 2nd setting= Valet mode (wont go over 65), 3rd setting= regular idle/operation (more kick than stock), 4th setting= regular idle/operation (little time here), 5th setting= increased idle (havent driven it here), 6th=increased idle (havent driven it).

If those 5th and 6th settings are just increase HP should they have the increase idle?

Is there other things that usually accompany tuners that I should check for? I will be using this truck to tow 5th wheel motorhome type trailers. thanks again
Old 08-28-2010, 06:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Raising the idle may make them quicker i know mine bumps about 500 in my 140 setting. I might add that if you don't have gauges I DONT recommend using any of the hot tunes as you can melt something and have a mess on your hands oh and :welcome:
Old 08-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Glad to be a Powerstroke owner! I dont plan on using the hot settings. And the gauges you are talking would be boost and ? Also does this kind of tuning give MPG benefits or hurt MPG? What should i look for under the dash to identify the specific type of chip. thanks
Old 08-28-2010, 06:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

it should be in the PCM under your emergency brake on the left side period make sure the keys are in the house yes in the house if you pull it out. if you need help pulling it out pm. and your gauges would be Pyro to see the exhaust temps Boost and trans if it is an automatic. I would also recommed a DIY tymar go to diyfilters.com and get a 6637 and an exhaust and you will be grinning ear to ear. Also it will help mileage
Old 08-28-2010, 07:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the info. the truck does have a larger exhaust but i am not sure what exactly it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.