Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3 vs 6.0/6.4 coming off the line

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  fifty 
#1 ·
I should take delivery of my 7.3 here in about an hour. EXCITED!

But to the problem. My cousin has the 08 with the 6.4. I know hes going to give me a hard time about how I have the 7.slow and he has the 6.go. My question is in a stock setup how badly would a 7.3 get trounced in a little friendly race. Also, what would it take to do the trouncing?

#3 ·
He is going to murder you. You could dump $10K into the motor and tranny and he'd still stomp on you with just tunes, exhaust, and intake.

#7 ·
Well, the 6.4 comes with what, 350 HP stock? And then there's the 310HP tune. It takes a whole lot of money to get a 7.3 to 660HP...

#9 ·
Basically. The only thing you'll have him beat in is lower payments, lower insurance, and lower maintenance costs. :hehe:

#11 ·
cuz we dont have egr. HA. yeah they arent the fastest but the closest i get to a 6leaker is my friends, even then im nervous its gonna crap out.

#12 ·
Got about 20k layin around? Thats what it will take for a 7.3 to beat a tuned 6.4 and still be a reliable daily driver

#13 ·
Just remember, its not always about speed.

To me its about who's pickup is going to OUTLAST. Then your 7.3 will win! :)

#14 ·
a custom tuned 7.3 still has some jam coming off the line if you boost launch.

#17 ·
Not even close to beat a 6.4

#15 ·
Why is the 7.3 so slow? Is it that the heads that suck?
I mean, one can replace the turbo, injectors, pump etc to match the fuel/air abilities of the 6.4 etc, and we have the displacement advantage...why is it down on power?

I know on some cars, heads are worth quite a bit of power...And sometimes they are so bad, there is nothing one can do (Think A-series british motors with twin cam conversions)

#16 ·
Stock 7.3s are slow because they only have about 250 at the crank.

You can build a 7.3 to keep up with a 6.4 but like I said its gonna take about 20k in parts to do and and be reliable enough to drive every day

#19 ·
Stock 7.3s are slow because they only have about 250 at the crank.
I realize that stockers are low on power...but my question is, if you take a 6.4 and measure the volume/boost capabilities etc of air that its turbo can produce and bolt a comparable one on a 7.3...do the same with injectors... Maybe throw a similar lift cam in... then why does the 7.3 still run low on the power scheme?

What is the 7.3 limited by? I mean, a turbo, injectors, cam and tuning wont run your 20 g's...well maybe 6 or 7 g's...

A 6.4 with tuning alone will still givethat tuned 7.3 a serious run for its money. So I guess, my long winded question again is...whats the bottleneck for power on the 7.3's?

#18 ·
Here's what you do..when he's not looking, slip his truck into 4 low. You might have a chance then :hehe:

Pains me to say that but facts is facts :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.