Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Injector Replacement Intervals

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  EscaladeSteve 
#1 ·
Hello, I would like your opinions on when to change injectors in a 7.3 motor ? Do you usually change them after so many miles, or wait until they go bad ? How can you tell if you have one or more bad ? Is there a diagonistic test that I can have a shop do to test injectors ? My 1999 F-350 seems to run fine to me, but I've got 260,000 miles on it, and was wondering if i need to replace the injectors ? They are so expensive I hate to change them if it's not needed. Also, if I do need to start looking for injectors, where is the best place to get them ? Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
You can check resistance on your glow plugs and injectors at the rectangular valve cover harness. Marty did a write up on the glow plugs, and DND58 filled me in on the readings for the injectors...here you go:

5a) Voltmeter method - Remove the large rectangular plug leading to the valve covers on either side of the engine. This plug powers your glow plugs and injectors. The 2 outside pins are your glow plugs, the 4 inner ones are for the injectors. () () () () () () () () () Blue is the Glow Plugs Red is the injectors, Black is the common for the injectors. Be very careful not to insert your test lead into one of the injector pins. The IDM feeds the injectors 110V and could cause a lot of sparks if it happens to try and actuate the injectors while you're testing, and could worse destroy the IDM, so steer clear of those and make sure you test only the 2 outer pins on each side of the plug.
Connect the ground lead of your voltmeter to a good ground, and insert the positive + test lead into the first glow plug pin.
A good glow plug will read btwn 0.8 - 1.2 ohms a weak glow plug will have much less resistance, and a completely dead one will have unlimited resistance through it because the electrode is internally burned out. Make note of the plugs that are out of range based on the cylinder number, and replace them. The cylinders are numbered 1-3-5-7 on the pass side, front to back, and 2-4-6-8 on the driver's side, front to back.

Injectors:
Test on the pins going into the valve cover to read resistance from the glow plugs and injectors.

G G I I C I I G G

Test between "I" and "C" to test the injectors, should be less than 5.0 Ohms.
Test between "G" and battery ground to test glow plugs. Should be between 0.6 and 2.0 Ohms

you can use something like this:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.