Tire wear question, how to fix ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tire wear question, how to fix ?

Well I need tires bad! What would cause this type of wear? I need new shocks for sure but other then that the front end is tight. Could this only be caused my ball-joints? I want to fix the problem before I put good tires on it! as you can see they are worn very bad on the inner side!
thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2010, 09:40 AM

I would bring it to a good independent front end shop and let them check it out and all it probably needs is a good 4 wheel alignment.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Needs ball joints and an alignment bad
Old 08-24-2010, 11:47 AM

could also be the tow meaning they ires r leaning towards the a frames
Old 08-24-2010, 12:26 PM

You can check those ball joints by jacking the tire up slightly and put a bar under the tire and see if you can get any up and down play out of those ball joints.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:37 PM

like these guys have said, ball joints and an alignment. However, make sure you check the wheel bearings while you're at it.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:42 AM

Well I checked the ball joints and they are tight, so now I'm happy I don't have to replace them yet but pizzed that I don't what is causing the inner tire wear! And yeah I jacked one side of the truck up and I had a jack stand right next to the lower ball joint so I think I did it right.

I guess I just need to find someone who knows the front end because I can't see what else could cause the inner wear and the dumb guy at bell tire checked alignment and said I just need to rotate the tires. I can't be driving about on these tires much longer, its just a matter of time before I loose one. I have a set of new tires but the inner started cupping very bad so I took them off until I can fix the problem.

Well if anyone knows of a shop that can figure this out any where near south east Michigan or near Toledo Ohio that let me know, I'm willing to drive to a good shop at this point!
Old 08-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Obviously camber issues could cause wear on the inner or outer part of the tire but I don't think there is enough camber movement in our trucks for that to be the problem. Another possible cause and I think more probable would be for your fronts to have too much toe out. Too much toe out would cause the inner edge of the tire to wear. Too much toe in causes the outer edge to wear. Make sure that you set the toe at 0 if at all possible and no more than 1/32" of toe in if not.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:05 PM

I have one worn like that but on the outside. It was from bad ball joints. If it was toe then the wear would be on both front tires. You seem to only say it is happening on the one tire so I am voting for trouble with that one corner of the truck and not alignment.

You really need to lift hard on the wheel to detect the ball joint slop. No dainty rocking of the tire, grab it with both arms and try and flip the truck over. Looking for slop in the vertical direction. The unit bearings offer easy to detect slop in all directions when they die.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbeam View Post
I have one worn like that but on the outside. It was from bad ball joints. If it was toe then the wear would be on both front tires. You seem to only say it is happening on the one tire so I am voting for trouble with that one corner of the truck and not alignment.

You really need to lift hard on the wheel to detect the ball joint slop. No dainty rocking of the tire, grab it with both arms and try and flip the truck over. Looking for slop in the vertical direction. The unit bearings offer easy to detect slop in all directions when they die.
sorry, I forgot to mention that it is both from tires and it is the inner only! I was using my foot on the bottom and hands on the top to try and find slop!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.