Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

4wd axle on a 2wd?

3K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  lookin4myPSD 
#1 ·
I've been wondering recently what all would be involved in putting a solid 4wd axle on a 2wd truck? My main reason to do it would be for more weight carrying capacity and easier to change brake rotors. Cause the dually rotors are a PAIN, huge, and expensive. More than usual.
Just wondering how much of a pain it would be

#2 ·
So you don't want the 4x4 then? Just the axle for the reasons you stated? I don't think that swap would be that difficult unless you plan on hooking it all up. That would get really expensive then.

#4 ·
No I really don't care about the 4x4, just for a heavier front axle and easier and cheaper to replace front rotors.
I know I need the axle, leafs, and rotors. But different shocks, steering components, or anything else? I don't know much about 4x4 except for looking under trucks when I'm changing oil at work.

#5 ·
The only other thing i would say would be to make sure you get manual hubs on the axle. That way there is no chance of the axles turning going down the road. Jarrod's pics are interesting. I am not sure if you need different steering parts, i would imagine you would. Shocks would probably be different too. I would just check on oreilly's website and see if when you search for shocks if a different part number comes up for a 4x4 vs a 4x2.

#6 ·
The only other thing i would say would be to make sure you get manual hubs on the axle. That way there is no chance of the axles turning going down the road.
What if I just pulled the axle shafts and everything out of the axle tube itself?

#8 ·
I'm not burning through em. I did have a bearing that locked up and burnt up the inside of the hub. Which meant a new rotor/hub assembly. PERFECTLY good rotor and I don't wanna have that happen again. That and I think it'd be cool

#19 ·
Im about to do this in my race truck, but i bought a 4wd parts truck to take all of the parts off of.

I dont think it will be too hard.

#20 ·
Great idea, since the 4x4 axles just have such *wonderful* front bearings... :doh:

#22 ·
The bearings are a complete unit, at about $250 a pop for the cheap ones.

#24 ·
The front suspention changed alot... the '05-up trucks use a coil spring front end on the 4x4's, prior to '05 only 4x2's used coils.

Start by compairing a simular year truck with 4x4, and take a tape measure. check mounting points, the brackets probly will bolt on.

Me and my buddys are good at fab work, mud trucks, race cars, etc. So our motto is 'It all fits' but we have torches and welders and arn't afraid to use them... make sure this is a project you want to tear into, it's gonna take some time, money, and head scratching.

#26 ·
See I started thinking of this cause I've seen multiple Ram 3500s with the mono beam. It's weird cause they have a plate that makes it look like it has a diff :dunno:

#29 ·
Totally bringing this back to life, in an effort to not create another thread. I looked around and found nothing on swapping an F-450 2wd mono-beam (with leaf springs) axle over to an F250 2wd with twin I beams. I kind of want to do something like this, because why not, and because I don't really need 4x4 in Florida, but would like a truck that sits level, and has lift-ability.

Has anyone done this?

#31 ·
Yeah. I had a leveling kit, and in all honesty it didn't level it. I still had three inches of difference between front and back. I mean, if I don't do this, I'm going to end up with a 6" fabtech lift. Just curious about if the benefits outweigh the costs, in terms of durability and strength.

#32 ·
It probably doesn't. You gotta swap a lot of stuff, the ride is going to be terrible, and that's roughly it.
However, I'd like it if I got a wide front axle for the tight turning radius.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.