Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Rubber chunks!

963 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  HaysKSFirefighter 
#1 ·
I picked up a 00' 7.3 that had 133k about 3 months ago and put new Hankook Dynapro tires on it with an alignment. I noticed today @ 136k that I have "chunks" the size of an almond, missing out of tread on both rear tires. It is not in any given pattern, however it seems that every tread has a chunk out of it. I haven't even driven 4k miles!

We tow a 10k trailer and never had this problem on our other truck. Im headed back to the tire dealer, but thought I would check to see what your thoughts are. Anything I could be missing?

2000 F350XLT - stock for now...

#4 ·
Tell us what the Tire Shops say. I took tires in that were completely bald after 4000 miles no burnouts and no simpathy. and they seen me everyday.

#5 ·
my back tires arent even balanced. they dont need to be unless they're turning, honestly they show little to no wear. anyway i'd say you got some CRAP tires thats for sure.

#7 ·
Uh, rear tires need balanced too. :nod:

THE FINAL WORD! So I took it over to the shop where I purchased the tires. The manager came out and began to tell me how bad my driving habits are and that he couldn't warranty them!

At any rate, I think it comes down to plain and simply crappy tires. They say that we got 10 ply tires, but Im thinking more along the lines of 2 ply! I paid for what they call "lifetime no questions asked" warranty. Unless the manager thinks you're a bad driver...whatever! :dunno:
How can he say that unless he was with you in the cab for 4k miles?

#6 ·
THE FINAL WORD! So I took it over to the shop where I purchased the tires. The manager came out and began to tell me how bad my driving habits are and that he couldn't warranty them!

At any rate, I think it comes down to plain and simply crappy tires. They say that we got 10 ply tires, but Im thinking more along the lines of 2 ply! I paid for what they call "lifetime no questions asked" warranty. Unless the manager thinks you're a bad driver...whatever! :dunno:

#9 ·
Dam near the same words I heard. I told him where his head was stuck up his and more so. Havnt done business there since :thumb:

#8 ·
Sounds like you drive on a lot of gravel roads... :dunno:

#10 ·
Something is off here. I have the dynapro atm's on my 250 and I've put 10k hard miles on them with no rotation yet driving city, highway, country, offroad, etc and I haven't had any problems with them. I noticed some of the lugs have a few small chunks out of them but nothing like you describe. I would go back and raise some hell. These tires have been great to me and Ive heard a lot of good things about hankooks so if you dont get anywhere with the shop, talk to hankook, they should stand behind their products! Especially if you have less then 5k on them. If they don't that is ridiculous!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.