front hub HELP!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 03:51 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
front hub HELP!!!

i was drivin home from work and my front right hub started makin a nasty clankingish noise and i could feel the truck startin to pull towards the right. anybody have a diagram of the front hub assembly? and how difficult is it to change em out? its a manual locking hub
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideforever13 View Post
i was drivin home from work and my front right hub started makin a nasty clankingish noise and i could feel the truck startin to pull towards the right. anybody have a diagram of the front hub assembly? and how difficult is it to change em out? its a manual locking hub
Take the center cap off, remove snap ring and pull hub out. Super easy
Old 08-20-2010, 04:03 PM

sweet! i hope thats all thats wrong with it. thanks
Old 08-20-2010, 04:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

have you checked your wheel bearings for play? i see your truck is lifted, that will kill them much faster....
Old 08-20-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpd307 View Post
have you checked your wheel bearings for play? i see your truck is lifted, that will kill them much faster....
I'm trying to figure out how this makes sense...

Why would being lifted have any effect on the longevity of a wheel bearing? I understand how big tires kill transmissions, but this doesn't make much sense to me.

Can you please explain this to me?

Thanks.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:31 PM

However, if it's your wheel bearing. Take off the center cap. Carefully remove the snap rings, then you can take out all the gears and crap inside. then there's a couple washers, another snap ring (that you'll need snap ring pliers for) and get everything out from the inside. Then on the back there are 4 bolts around the axle U joint knuckle. Take out those 4 bolts, and you should be all set to get the wheel bearing out. it's a whole assembly.

I replaced mine, they can be had for $120-$300 depending on brand and what year your truck is (the early '99 trucks are more expensive) and it took about 2.5 hours as a first-timer.

FYI, there are also much better write-ups on how to do this on this website, I just tried to give you a fast breakdown.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:31 PM

fords wheel bearing design is inadequate at best. bigger tires just add more stress and therefore have a tendency to cause premature failure. bigger tires are heavier....
Old 08-21-2010, 03:45 AM

That still doesn't make sense to me.

The wheel bearing design may be inadequate, however, putting on big tires doesn't change the geometry of anything with reference to the wheel bearing, so I'm unclear on how it adds more stress.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:22 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
it adds weight and when you hit bumps it add more up and down momentum which puts a lateral stress on the bearings causing them to fail early.

And to the OP look into PMF free wheel kit. I just got one and its great. About 1650 but ford wants 400 per wheel bearing.

The PMF kit takes 20 a side to rebuild so it pays its self off. And you are suppose to get better mileage, the hubs are aluminum.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:12 AM

well i pulled off the whole hub assembly and the center cap was F*$#ed up! there were metal and plastic shavings just layin in there. and also the axel from the knuckles out woubles a TON! it moves the inner axel up and down and all around also. is that normal when i have the hub assembly off? and the spline is also looks like it has a small twist on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.