More Hypertech HyperPAC displeasure - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
More Hypertech HyperPAC displeasure

well i've owned the HyperPAC for quite sometime now and have loved using it on my '01 f250. ran into a problem recently that i has left me rather frustrated and annoyed. i can honestly say that after being a loyal customer of hypertech for several years i will probably move beyond them and never buy again.

a short while ago i wrecked and totalled my previous '01 f250. i did what i thought was the smart thing and salvaged all aftermarket parts i could to install on my next truck. one of the first things i made sure to get was my hyperpac. the problem being that this is not transferrable to my new '01 f250 without paying, in my opinion, an outrageous amount to have it 'unlocked.' in case anyone is wondering, as long as i can provide the original receipt (impossible after a few years and couple moves between 3 states) and a copy of the report from the insurance company stating that the truck was totalled than hypertech will unlock it for $100 plus shipping both ways. original price on this unit that i paid was $599. i completely understand why it becomes locked but i think marrying it to a vin is not a good idea. i think a much better and customer friendly concept would be to lock it to an original owner, not vehicle.

now i know this is beating a dead dog as i have spent the last couple hours reading complaint after complaint on this issue. i have seen where there are a couple people who can unlock the hypertechs for GM but nothing for ford. i also read a brief thread where someone mentioned being able to go into the partition on the hyperpac and being able to wipe clean the vin and then rebooting which actually sounds doable for the computer saavy. unfortunately it was a brief mention and nothing more was said about it.

does anyone know of anyone that can unlock these units? or of any website that explains in detail how to do it?

i've already decided that before i pay upwards of $100 to hypertech again i will pay a little more and go to something that is transferable in case of an 'accident' in the future.

thanks in advance on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
As far as programmers go they will all do the same thing.

What you shouldve done is returned the truck to stock when you pulled the programmer. Then you wouldve been good to go

But in a situation like yours where you didnt return it to stock you wont find someone that will unlock it for free.

The reason they marry to the VIN is so that you cant put a program on your truck. Unplug it and then go program your buddies truck at the same time with the same unit
Old 08-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i guess i should've mentioned it in the first post. i was able to return the wrecked truck to stock before removing the hyperpac. i then plugged it into my current truck and the message came up about being a vin mismatch for the vehicle and displayed an 800 number to call. i called the number and talked to a hypertech rep and was first told to take it to an authorized dealer and they could clear it. i called the only 4 dealers in my area and was informed that only hypertech can perform this service. i then called back after wasting hours making phone calls and looking online and was told by the rep this afternoon to provide the information stated earlier and send the unit in to have the vin cleared so i could use it again. price would be $100 and i'm responsible for shipping.

i understand the reason for marrying the vin to the unit. it prevents the buyer from being able to program truck after truck but there are better ways around this than requiring a person to pay almost $600 and then asking them to pay more money to continue using it. from reading other threads today i found out the typical price for hypertech to unlock the unit is normally $200 plus shipping fees. mine is cheaper because the truck was wrecked which is why they're asking for proof. i've already got a g-tech from hypertech so before i pay there ridiculous fees i'll buy a different tune and use the g-tech to acquire the additional features as the hyperpac.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

dave,

does this sound correct. i just want to make sure i'm doing it right. i did go through the steps and return the wrecked truck back to stock using the hyperpac. my understanding was that it would take the stock setting stored on the unit and switch it back out with the stage 3 setting i had installed in my truck. then i would be able to take it and install it in my new truck. from my research on this issue i have read about other programmers that work like this, as long as the previous vehicle is returned to stock than that program can be taken from vehicle to vehicle. it really kind of surprises me that hypertech does not operate like this, or maybe i did something wrong i'm not aware of.

any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.