Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Need your expertise on rough running engine

734 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  AaronATX 
#1 ·
guys:

I bought a used '03 f-250 7.3 with 130k miles. I've had it a year and within the last couple of days, the check engine came on when i first started the truck. As soon as it came on, it idled a little rough and when it shifted (auto) into 3rd gear, it became really rough. After about 10 min. of this, the light went off and it drove normally. Then again, after letting it sit awhile, it ran rough at first and got better. This morning, same thing but when i tried to get out of my driveway, it stammered big time and ran as rough as i've ever heard it and i had to back it back into the driveway. Now it barely starts and if it does start, it runs extremely rough and shakes like it's going to throw up. Now i couldn't leave my driveway if i wanted. Has anyone ever encountered something like this?

Jason

#2 ·
hmmm.... first unplug the icp sensor and see if that changes anything.

#3 ·
snag the codes

check your uvch (under valve cover harness) to see if its fried. the ebpv could also be stuck. cps maybe. could be a number of things but start there.

#4 ·
My truck did this when the IPR and ICP sensor when out. More so with the IPR.

But I would check the valve cover wiring harnesses. The IPR is located under the black POWERSTROKE plastic dust cover in the back of the HPOP. The ICP sensor is located on the Driver side valve cover toward the front of the motor.

As many people say if you pull the plug out and theres oil on it, its bad. But i have pulled brand new ones out and always have oil on the damn plug.

As for the IPR sensor I don't know of a way to test check if its bad.

Does the Tach move when you crank it 100-300 RPMS? or nothing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.