Commpression test numbers hurt my feelings! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 07:44 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Commpression test numbers hurt my feelings!

well, found this sitting under the valve cover next to the low (295psi) number 4 cylinder. Any ideas of what monster I have going on here? Numbers on driver side were 370, 295, 390, 355.

I looked best I could with a flashlight and couldn't see anywhere this piece could have come from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what ever it is thats not good
Old 08-19-2010, 07:49 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

oh , and truck runs fine and strong as I can tell just smokes
Old 08-19-2010, 09:00 PM
addicted to diesel

looks like one of the washer things(dont know what they are called) from the top of a valve spring
Old 08-19-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highraven99 View Post
looks like one of the washer things(dont know what they are called) from the top of a valve spring

check the valve spring retainers, one of them might be missing a chunk. which could allow the spring to kick over a little extra, and allow the valve to leak? giving a lower compression, unlikely but possible
Old 08-20-2010, 03:04 AM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

hmmmmmmm, anyone have a pic of where it goes.. I have never done any engine work what so ever and not really sure where to look. Also, how do you go about fixing this to see if compression gets better?
Old 08-20-2010, 07:59 AM

Looks like a valve spring shim to me. VS retainers are like a half moon wedge type of thing. It definitly isn't one of them not to mention you would have dropped a valve.

A shim on the other hand would give you less seat pressure and thus lower compression.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:17 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to harley1rocker Send a message via Skype™ to harley1rocker
the valve spring retainers are fairly thick,doubt its that.my truck had broke rings,im not sayin thats a ring,but if your smokin,got low compression,then you deff got sumthin going on there..did you run contribution??? get you a cherry picker and pull the heads..i did mine.thinkin it was a valve,and thinkin i would get away with just reworkin the heads,not a chance.pulled the heads and piston was all chewed up from a peice of ring.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:57 AM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley1rocker View Post
the valve spring retainers are fairly thick,doubt its that.my truck had broke rings,im not sayin thats a ring,but if your smokin,got low compression,then you deff got sumthin going on there..did you run contribution??? get you a cherry picker and pull the heads..i did mine.thinkin it was a valve,and thinkin i would get away with just reworkin the heads,not a chance.pulled the heads and piston was all chewed up from a peice of ring.
yeah I did a contribution test and just came back with 3 and 8 cylinders but they had compression about 360psi when I did the check. I was hoping to find out what this thing is and crossing my fingers I have a head issue and not a ring issue. What does a head on these things weigh, 100lbs or so? Also, how much harder is it to getting the driver side head off, I have pulling injectors down to an art now......
Also, anyone have a diagram of where this shim would be in the head, looked all over but don't really know where I need to look either.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccodart440 View Post
Looks like a valve spring shim to me. VS retainers are like a half moon wedge type of thing. It definitly isn't one of them not to mention you would have dropped a valve.

A shim on the other hand would give you less seat pressure and thus lower compression.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.