Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Questions About Buying a Modded 7.3

3K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  Tj Krawler 
#1 ·
I found a truck locally, and am a little concerned with some things about it.

I know the truck hasn't had an easy life, it's been to the drag track a few times, but not all the time.

It's a 2000 F-350 SRW 7.3 lifted on 38s.

It's got a built trans (auto), 250 cc injectors, ARP studs, chip, and the usual mods, gauges, intake, exhaust... With a stock turbo.

The questionable parts start with it's had a bunch of parts replaced, mostly commons parts though. It's had a engine rebuilt within the last 2,000 miles or so. I was told, it was torn down for what he thought was a blown head gasket. This turned out to be a bad water pump leaking coolant, and a injector that wasn't torqued properly. This injector worked its way almost out. When they pulled it out, they couldn't find the O ring. It was later found in pieces in the # 7 cylinder. But the pistons and rods all looked good so it got reassembled.

I don't really know if the head gasket was bad or not, but I've read if it was, chances are the connecting rod for the cylinder closest to where it failed would likely have been twisted from coolant in there, and it would probably fail in a short time.

I'm just interested in hearing others opinions on this and if it would be worth buying or not.

Thanks,
Alan

See less See more
#2 ·
engine tear down for a leaky water pump/ HG misdiagnosis? sounds fishy to me...and to not notice a loose injector during diagnosis? I dunno, sounds fishy to me. Have to be REALLY loose.....in order for the o ring to make it into the cylinder. I'd run away if it were me.

#4 · (Edited)
It seemed a little off to me. I was more worried about the pistons or rods being damaged. I can't imagine metal pieces in there wouldn't scratch anything. He said there was no block or head damage.

I heard it and drove in it, I'm no expert but I didn't hear any strange noises.

There is still some issues that need to be fixed, the cruise isn't working right now (He said it will be fixed before sale, by Ford dealer) And a bunch of electronic stuff, which seems to be traced to water from the windshield leaking into the fuse box.

The trans was just went through because the case had small a crack in it. This is the reason the previous buyer didn't take it. The buyer was on his way driving it home and the trans wasn't working right, which turned out to be this crack.

Edit: 250's were done very shortly before the rebuild. I know the turbo is small for the injectors, and can be blown up pretty easily.

#5 ·
Yeah, I never buy anything previously modded, for the fact of uncertainty. I would be concerned about #7 as well due to the metal. Who tuned it?

#7 ·
I wouldnt believe that either. If you spend 2-3k on injectors 700 on studk, tunes, gauges, etc. You are going to use it, not run econo.

#8 ·
Yeah. He said it was to save the stock turbo, he didn't really want injectors that big, he just got a deal on them.

I was looking at it basically because it's priced right around stock trucks, and with a V3 Vegistroke, filtering setup, a bunch of oil, it seemed like it was worth looking at.

#9 ·
I think i was looking at this same truck before i got mine, is it a Black Crew cab long bed. Did he send you the vids of it on the drag strip?

#11 ·
So what are you thinking about the truck. IMO it is not the cleanest truck. Bad rock dents and some are rusting. Not that big of deal if you dont care how it looks.

The one thing that worried me is that it has been for sale a long time, why dont other people want it? You are getting a lot of truck and mods for the price, but to me i just couldnt trust it. It might be a great deal or it might not be. Guess it comes down to if you have the money to fix it when or if it breaks down. Also make sure there is some place where you can get a good deal on the veg. I couldn't find anywhere close to me.

#12 ·
I live about 45 minutes from him. I don't have money for repairs, that was why it was a concern. That rust isn't bad for somethings around here. I would plan on some touch up paint. The few dent's don't really bother me.

#13 ·
thats the main reason i didnt go for it is i wouldnt have the money to fix it if something major broke. to bad it didnt have a h2e

#15 · (Edited)
The trans was built locally, with a 5 year warranty.

I just thought of something else. Assuming the truck was abused, would it cause other problems to keep occurring? I'm now thinking it may be worth it, if I can get it for a little less than hes asking, and just tear it down again, put new rods in it, and check all the pistons.

I don't think I posted it but, the reason I'm concerned about the rods because he said when he was pulling out of his driveway, just above idle, he thought he heard a bad rod knock, which is when he thought the head gasket blew. He thinks this is really just when the water pump gave out. Since this the trucks been at WOT more than once, I can assume if the rods were going to fail soon, this would have done it.

The truck would likely be driven less than 100 miles a week, mostly highway. It would really be a second vehicle, and for towing every other weekend during summer, short distance, less than 10k pounds.

#16 ·
ya it all comes down to if you think its worth it. i took a chance on ebay with my truck. it was listed as a basketcase with a bad TC and was a fleet truck. i took the chance for $3300 and even though my wife dont like the cost of fixing things on it, after putting it back together and fixing things im still below blue book so im happy. even if my motor pukes out next year im far enough under blue book with what i have into it its worth putting a different one in.

if you do get it i would definitely invest in a bigger turbo to match those injectors though.

#17 ·
NEVER buy someone else's play toy. There's too many things you can't know unless you do a complete teardown, which you could only do after buying the truck.
250cc is WAY too much fuel for the stock turbo to handle. Those EGT's have to have been out of the safe range for quite some time, resulting in reduced engine life. This guy seems to be more concerned with making it smoke than making safe power.

You're much better off buying a stock truck and modding it to your tastes. (and using high quality parts)

#18 ·
That was my original plan. Buying a stock truck, and just stay with intake, exhaust, gauges, chip, and possibly a BTS VB. Then upgrade the turbo and injectors when they go.

I'll have to look into the cost of an engine rebuild, probably out of the price range then.

As it sits, it's on the high end of the budget, so it would need to have almost nothing break for almost a year after rebuild, assuming there isn't any internal damage.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

#19 ·
Who's truck is it? Ask him what his forum username is? Seeing as he's got Matts tunes he's either a member here or on the nation

#21 ·
Post a link to the for sale thread:thumb:

Looks like the PSN site is down though

#23 ·
So this is what I've been thinking the past few days.

Do you think it would be a good deal (I know this is really just opinion) if I could get it cheap enough to just tear the motor down again, and just to be safe and throw new rods and pistons in it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.