Questions About Buying a Modded 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Questions About Buying a Modded 7.3

I found a truck locally, and am a little concerned with some things about it.

I know the truck hasn't had an easy life, it's been to the drag track a few times, but not all the time.

It's a 2000 F-350 SRW 7.3 lifted on 38s.

It's got a built trans (auto), 250 cc injectors, ARP studs, chip, and the usual mods, gauges, intake, exhaust... With a stock turbo.

The questionable parts start with it's had a bunch of parts replaced, mostly commons parts though. It's had a engine rebuilt within the last 2,000 miles or so. I was told, it was torn down for what he thought was a blown head gasket. This turned out to be a bad water pump leaking coolant, and a injector that wasn't torqued properly. This injector worked its way almost out. When they pulled it out, they couldn't find the O ring. It was later found in pieces in the # 7 cylinder. But the pistons and rods all looked good so it got reassembled.

I don't really know if the head gasket was bad or not, but I've read if it was, chances are the connecting rod for the cylinder closest to where it failed would likely have been twisted from coolant in there, and it would probably fail in a short time.

I'm just interested in hearing others opinions on this and if it would be worth buying or not.

Thanks,
Alan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2010, 05:00 PM

engine tear down for a leaky water pump/ HG misdiagnosis? sounds fishy to me...and to not notice a loose injector during diagnosis? I dunno, sounds fishy to me. Have to be REALLY loose.....in order for the o ring to make it into the cylinder. I'd run away if it were me.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:04 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
Sounds real fishy.... 250's with a stock turbo?? That wont last
Old 08-17-2010, 05:12 PM

It seemed a little off to me. I was more worried about the pistons or rods being damaged. I can't imagine metal pieces in there wouldn't scratch anything. He said there was no block or head damage.

I heard it and drove in it, I'm no expert but I didn't hear any strange noises.

There is still some issues that need to be fixed, the cruise isn't working right now (He said it will be fixed before sale, by Ford dealer) And a bunch of electronic stuff, which seems to be traced to water from the windshield leaking into the fuse box.

The trans was just went through because the case had small a crack in it. This is the reason the previous buyer didn't take it. The buyer was on his way driving it home and the trans wasn't working right, which turned out to be this crack.

Edit: 250's were done very shortly before the rebuild. I know the turbo is small for the injectors, and can be blown up pretty easily.

Last edited by Tj Krawler; 08-17-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:17 PM

Yeah, I never buy anything previously modded, for the fact of uncertainty. I would be concerned about #7 as well due to the metal. Who tuned it?
Old 08-17-2010, 05:22 PM

Matt at Gearhead. I've been told it was never turned up past econo, which I don't really believe.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:25 PM

I wouldnt believe that either. If you spend 2-3k on injectors 700 on studk, tunes, gauges, etc. You are going to use it, not run econo.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:32 PM

Yeah. He said it was to save the stock turbo, he didn't really want injectors that big, he just got a deal on them.

I was looking at it basically because it's priced right around stock trucks, and with a V3 Vegistroke, filtering setup, a bunch of oil, it seemed like it was worth looking at.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:00 PM

I think i was looking at this same truck before i got mine, is it a Black Crew cab long bed. Did he send you the vids of it on the drag strip?
Old 08-17-2010, 06:07 PM

Yup, black, crew cab, long bed. He didn't send me vids, I saw them the weekend they were taken, he posted them on a local site, where we are both members.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.