Should I buy this truck? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I buy this truck?

Greetings everyone,
I have been shopping around for a 7.3L for awhile now. I really would prefer a manual transmission so the choices are few. I found this truck on ebay: Ford : F-350: eBay Motors (item 150479094573 end time Sep-01-10 16:01:45 PDT)

The truck looks clean, fairly low miles for the year and the seller said he would accept a bid of $9,000 (I would prefer to stay under $10,000). He has 100% feedback on over 200 vehicles sold, which is a good thing. I spoke with him yesterday and he said the truck has no issues and runs and drives great. Now I know most people on here would probably not recommend making a purchase like this without driving it. My situation is unique in that I live in the US Virgin Islands and don't have the option of test driving. I was planning on going to Florida next month to shop for a 7.3L with manual tranny, and then test drive, but I am having a hard time finding any for sale.
So what do you think- too risky? Is it worth hiring someone to do an inspection on the above mentioned truck? Does anyone live in Houston, Texas that would want to make $100 bucks and check it out for me? Or do you know of any states or dealers who has 7.3L with manual trannys. I like the feel of shifting gears, plus the roads here are quite steep so it helps save wear and tear on brakes. Thanks for the help!

One more thing- in the pictures, the front end looks a little low to me, is it just my imagination?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2010, 07:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It's low because it's 2wd...

A couple things to notice...

It had a gooseneck in it, so it probably did some heavy hauling. It's also got a K&N Intake.

Don't know if those things mean it's bad, but I'll tell you that I paid $8700 for my '99 4x4. Granted, I have an auto, not a manual. But I'd say the price is a bit high.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:03 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Price is a tad high for a 2wd with a manual.

Because of your situation I would definately have someone do an inspection before you buy.

Plenty of members in the Houston TX area. Im sure I can get in touch with someone to peek at it if you would like
Old 08-17-2010, 08:07 AM
I am that hot

Send a message via AIM to superxcrewfx4 Send a message via Yahoo to superxcrewfx4
I paid 9800 for my late 99 f250 supercab 4wd. I bought it in the diesel crisis so the price was actually low. I got it with 204k and now I have 225k on it. Only problem was left balljoints and the starter solenoid. I assume that is a good price but it looks like someone smoked in it, mine was that way as well. Overall my truck was disgusting but it has come a long way. I am jealous because yours has a manual, these autos suck bad.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, thanks for the replies. I kinda thought $9,000 was a little high. The gooseneck and the smoking are good things to know about. I guess maybe I will hold off a bit longer until I find a well cared for manual in my price range. I found this on Craigslist 2000 Ford F350 XLT 7.3L DIESEL CREW CAB LONG BED 6 SPEED MANUAL. Looks nice and clean but the 200,000 mile scare me. Seems like 4wd justifies the $9,000 price a bit more and could probably talk the dealer down some. But I would need to fly to Texas to check it out or have someone do that for me.
I just don't know why there are not more manuals out there. Seems like with diesels, people would want a manual transmission even more. If anyone knows of any manuals in the $10,000 price range or a good state to look for one, I would appreciate it.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would definitely look around in the classified section on here, Powerstroke nation, and ford-trucks. Among the 3, you're bound to find what you're looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.