Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

test drove an 03 7.3 yesterday, was impressed

3K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  maxwedgehead 
#1 ·
so me and a few buddies were on our way to the branson cruise nights, yesteday, in my obs. and a buddy was way behind so we had plenty of time to stop at a dealer. i got out and was lookin at a 4 door short bed 4x4 03 7.3. had the keys in it revved it up some, popped the hood checked it out, looked at the pcm sure enough theres a chip in there found, the switch.

here comes the dealer, he talks to me, i ask for a test drive he said hop in.

(i already flipped through the 4 positions to figure out power settings by the smoke amount 4th was the hottest.)

we take off i leave it in the low setting, laid it to the ground, put out quite a bit of smoke, said alright now lets see what its got, made a right to a straight stretch, flipped the chip to the 4th setting. laid it to the ground. it set everyone into their seat, blacked out the road, when it shifted into second it barked the tires, not just a scratch i mean it barked them good. thats when the dealer asked me to turn the chip back down. play time over.

anyways how did that truck bark second so easily? ive driven and rode in all diesel trucks, stock, chipped etc, my buddies 4 door short bed 4x4 common rail with an edge with attitude on the highest setting wont bark second, these werent stock wheels and tires either, it had a set of chrome rims and some wide tires on it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Probably had more done to it than just the chip.

#4 ·
could be gears, built tranny, but simply could be the line pressure for the tranny turned way up from the chip. so hopefully it has a built trans otherwise its time for a rebuild eventually.

#5 ·
could be more line pressure to trans, could be bigger injectors and a fuel system too, I wonder who's tunes were on the chip? If i scratced in 2nd I highly doubt it was just a chip by itself

#7 ·
im not sure ive seen 7.3s with just chips they smoke but they wont black out a road and keep rolling it like nothing, like this one did. the dealer called me today on it i told him i want him to call the last owner and verify what chip it was etc and whats done to it

makes u wonder what it was, my 02 with the mods in my sig can chirp the tires off the line pretty good(doesnt happen stock lol). she likes to roll.
ya but this is just going 20 or so in drive mashed it, blacked out the road and it chirped second with ease and it never stopped rolling smoke, i bet if i kept in it, it might scratch third

#6 ·
makes u wonder what it was, my 02 with the mods in my sig can chirp the tires off the line pretty good(doesnt happen stock lol). she likes to roll.

#8 ·
nice, sounds about like my truck......

#12 ·
that would be like mashing on it to pass on the higway it downshifts to 3rd and it barking them.. even sticks and a turbo dont think it would.. it may burn out threw 3rd with that set up but just out right scratch it nah not gonna happen..

#15 ·
im not too keen on wanting to buy this truck because it had no gauges, and i asked if he towed alot and the dealer said no, but then when i ask why he traded it in, he said the guy needed a dually for what he was towing. they sold the truck to him he modded it, and he traded it back

#16 ·
Sounds like my dads 99 7.3. They say it's stock but boy does that thing move..

#17 ·
How much do they want for it?

#19 ·
Yeah not exactly a screaming deal hey? It would be really nice to have a sit down with the previous owner and find out a little more about it. What does the trans feel like when you drive it nice...or did you :hehe:

#20 ·
WAit it has a gooseneck and the guy never towed with it? riiiight I would just walk away.

Take it from me do not under no circumstances buy a modded truck unless you are good friends with the PO.

I bought mine modded took about 18months and about 3 grand to fix. Then I decided to lower it too. But mine did come with rods and studs so thats a plus.

#24 ·
ya i asked about towing the dealer said he didnt tow with it much, but then later when he said the guy bought it from them the guy put the chip in it, and he installed the gooseneck, so i asked why he traded and then he said the guy traded for a dually cause he needed it for what he was towing...

#21 ·
My 02 with an edge evo on 80hp would black out a street until I let off and bark 2nd but that was because I had a boost leak making 9 psi at WOT and the edge shifted so hard into second it barked :hehe:

#22 ·
Pretty much agreed with Derek...unless they decide to sell it for under 10k or something lol.

#25 ·
Yeah and how many whoopings did this poor truck take before he decided maybe he should get a bigger truck.

#27 ·
The sad thing is that some kid who was REALLY REALLY REALLY impressed with the smoke and 2nd shift scratch but had no idea why it might be doing that probably bought it. I hope it's ok for the new owner.

#30 ·
Oh man that sucks :doh:

But hey look at it this way...you can say that you are a graduate of the 6.0 school of hard knocks :hehe:

#31 ·
I have a PHP tuned TS chip and it barks the tires bad from first to second in the 80 hp daily driver tune, the 140 extreme broke my tranny haha, so I just had a local shop build me a tranny with a billet converter and a trans go shift kit and also some goodies in the clutches, all I have done is a S&B CAI, 4" TBE straight pipe and that chip, and now a good tranny, I was expecting it though 211,000 miles on the original tranny never rebuilt it was time....

#33 ·
Hey wedge head where you from I was at that cruise too did you got to the Ford dealer by 413.

#35 ·
from west plains, mo. nah it was the one right off the highway by rogersville and it wasnt a ford dealership.
what did u think of the cruise? i was the only one with a lifted obs and everyone was lovin it

#37 ·
Ya there's more diesel's ever year wish.I would have known you were there we could've met up do you ever go to any of the diesel drags in rodgersville.

#38 ·
i sat at walmart there waitin on our buddies and there was like people divided up into duramaxs, powerstrokes and cummins, but noone ever invited me over to the powerstroke group,i had to ask a guy walkin from the group where the nearest gas station was to get diesel. i got a nod and a thumbs up from every diesel there i had no complaints, theres diesel drags on the 28th i would go if i had my sticks and chip already but we r takin a couple of rides up to the midnight drags on the 21st should be a pretty good time

#40 ·
Well if I would've seen ya I would've called ya over lol I might have to go to the midnight drags hit me up if ya go over there.

#41 ·
we might, but i wont have the powerstroke. i was gonna drag it if it was done by then but im not sure if i even wanna go now cause noone has slicks for their rides so idk. but ill let u know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.