Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Time for Brakes

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Highbeam 
#1 ·
Well its time to put new brakes on the '00 and was curious as to what brake pads everyone on here uses. Should i put factory ford pads on, or can i use some pads from schucks or napa. what kind of material should i use, ceramic, metallic, or whatever they are? my rotors do not feel to be warped, so should i still turn them or just do the pads? thanks!

#3 ·
I'm in that period of time also (need new pads). One thing I don't do is to turn rotors at the brake pad replace time. If you can put a dial indicator on the rotor to see what the run out is (warpage). I would recommend flushing out the old brake fluid.

#4 ·
i run the cheapest carquest pads i can get my hands on just changed them last week cost me 18 bucks for front pads and i tow alot of equipment and have never had any trouble stopping

#5 ·
I have Hawk pads, they work great. But I don't think there is anything wrong with factory pads or cheaper pads. Most of the time, one probably couldn't tell the difference.

#6 ·
Spend the $20 and get your rotors turned, and throw some Wagner pads on there.

#7 ·
On my 06 I recently had to do brakes. Rear pads were gone and rotors were deeply scored. Fronts were more glazed than a doughnut.:nod:

Tossed the stock pads, rotors, and brake lines into the garbage and went with Hawk LTS pads, Powerslot Cryo Rotors, and Crown SS Braided Lines. Also flushed the Dot 3 fluid and switched to Dot 4. Huge difference - especially when hauling the camper to and from the Sierras.

:thumb:

#8 ·
I would turn the rotors, worth the extra cash and will prolong the life of the new pads!
I had a lease truck and it was close to turn in time so I went with cheap pads. yeah, couldn't even make it 2 month they were squealing so bad I had to take them back and get better pads!

#9 ·
as much as I really do like Autozone, do NOT buy their brkae pads. No big issues, they just squeek like a son of a *****....on my truck and the wifes jeep....its so annoying!!

#10 ·
Now you tell me!!! There's two or three grades/prices of pads at a.z. Which one did you install? I just installed the best A.Z.s pads. I guess time will tell. If they squeel/squeek.

#11 ·
I just bought the cheap ones....but my neighbor usually buys the best ones from there, and his still squeel from time to time...

#12 ·
I'm with the cheap pad crowd. If your rotors are warped, throw them out! It ssems obvious that turning them to get the warp out will make them even thinner and more likely to warp again. I don't turn rotors. Pads are super cheap and offer plenty of braking power in my experience with 305/70 tires.

Be sure to maintain the sliding pins. Lube them, make sure they move freely and that the boots are intact. Those pins seem to be a real weakness. I had to use a torch to get one of them out up front.

My autozone pads, the cheapest, have never sqealed at all. I'm very happy with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.