1999 F-350 Air Conditioner Problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2010, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1999 F-350 Air Conditioner Problem

Hello, I've got a 1999 F-350 with 257,000 miles on it. The air has not been working properly all summer. I had to take it in to Ford to have a couple of recalls fixed so I had them do an AC system check. They said the clutch was failing and want $675.00 to replace the clutch and compressor. The price includes labor ready to blow cold air again. The symptom on the system is that it will blow cold air when I first start the motor, but not for more than 5 to 10 minutes, then I get warm air. They checked the freon levels and said they were OK. My question is, could I just have just the clutch replaced, or should I go ahead and have the entire thing changed out ? I'm a carpenter, not a mechanic, and rely on information I get here and from others. I'd appreciate any opinions/advise on this. I'm tired of sweating on the way home from work every day. Also, can I take it to any competant mechanic to have it fixed, or do I need to have the dealer or an AC shop do it ? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Try this first A/C compressor clutch not engaging all the time
Old 08-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mine was doing the same thing, removing the shim washer to tighten the air gap on clutch as described in Eric's post above fixed it. I used a 10mm wrench and large channellocks to hold clutch disc. Cost nothing but 10 minutes of my time.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Clutch fix is where I'd start. Its cheap, easy and works most of the time to solve the problem you're having.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:40 PM

Just pulled out the washer on my clutch plate today. 8mm socket on a 1/4 ratchet and a few mins.......seems to be working great now.

Here's another link to check out. Adjusting Clutch Gap on the Ford FS10 Compressor
Old 08-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Air Conditioning

Not to be totally stupid, but do you have to first loosen the belt to remove the clutch ? I'm going to try this fix myself, but I just want to make sure I don't screw something up in the process. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbutcher1953 View Post
Not to be totally stupid, but do you have to first loosen the belt to remove the clutch ? I'm going to try this fix myself, but I just want to make sure I don't screw something up in the process. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
No, you don't have to. The trick is to turn the ignition on (do not start the engine) and turn the A/C on to engage the clutch. This will lock the clutch and keep it from spinning while you loosen the 8mm bolt. Then turn the A/C off (and ignition) to disengage the clutch for removal. When you go to tighten the bolt, turn the ignition and A/C on to engage the clutch again.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Air Conditioner

Thank you for the quick response.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Air Conditioning

Just wanted to let you know that I tried the clutch fix, and it worked !!!!!! I fixed it a couple of days ago, and so far, good, cold air. I was sooooo pleased when this little 10 minute fix actually worked. Saved me around $675.00, at least for a while. I want to thank everyone who replied to my question, I really appreciate the guidance and help.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:00 AM

I know this is an old thread but since I have a 2004 and a 2000 that both seem to have A/C problems I am going to give this a try. The 04 has never cooled well when accelerating. Almost like the clutch disengages. The 2000 seems have started recently. Sitting at a traffic light it starts cooling. Then when I take off when in a minute it starts to lose its cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.