Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What needs to be done for 99 7.3L to beat a 2004 dodge ram hemi 1500

3K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  burrfree 
#1 ·
My buddy has a 2004 dodge ram 1500 with a 5.7L hemi. Wiki says it is 345hp and 375 lb of torque. I looked up some times, but I am not a racer so I really don't know much. They had some test where it ran 6.99 0-60 time and a 14.99 1/4 mile.

I was just curious to see what would need to be done for my 99 powerstroke to challenge him. Obviously the PSD is a much heavier truck, so I am just throwing this out there looking for some thoughts just for fun.

#2 ·
first off tell us more about your truck. early or late 99.? auto or manual? what body style?

#10 ·
That should be a Late 99. One thing to check is the inner cooler tubes, one should have foil on it.

#5 ·
do ya have coustom tunes?

#6 ·
To tell if your truck is e99 or late check the intake manifolds. If it is 3" it is a late 99, smaller than that IIRC it's 2-1/2" it's an early.

More info would help a lot. A reg cab will be quicker due to weight than a CC. 4x4 will launch harder resulting in quicker E.T.

My truck ran mid-high 15's with stock turbo, intake, and exhaust with PHP tunes.

#7 ·
I destroy every hemi I raced with the mods in my sig, trust me bud u don't need much to beat those 5.7s

#13 ·
Well from what I know a chipped gas vehicle can only go so far unlike our trucks we gain so much HP and Torque, the hemi's are quick and I'm not broggin but if whenever one pulls next to me and the guy thinks his hemi is quick I beat him everytime but ya never know one day I may get smoke lol

#9 ·
If his Hemi is a regular cab they are fast. My buddy has one and it rips. Buy a custom tuned chip and gauges, do the DIY intake, and do a straight pipe. And see what happens then.

#21 ·
i personally raced my friends 04 1500 hemi for chits. i won. hands down.

#23 ·
Put a 10k# trailer behind the two of you, then see who'll win:woot:

#26 ·
I still don't believe it. I've driven MANY hemi rams. Now I don't have a tune yet... but judging by an earlier post where somebody claimed upper 15 second quarter mile with exhaust, intake, and tune I would think it might be a close race with and older hemi and probably a loss to a new one. Does any of the "hemi killers" here have any time slips to post with those mods? I'm not trying to start anything... just very curious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.