Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

early 99 diy intake question..

6K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  jmaroon 
#1 ·
so i looked up the diy intake, ordered my filter, and 4 inch pipe, then after i tried to install it, found that my intake hose wouldn't make the bend.. it seems to be too short.. it looks like the writeup shows a 22.5* bend added to the hose to fit the filter in there.. where do i find that fitting?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
ben.. ya have a pic of what ya got ??? i went to lowes tonight and studied fittings for about an hour.. and actually seriously thought about just using a heavy aluminum dryer vent pipe.. i'm just paranoid about leaks. and the dryer vent wouldn't quite fit over my 4 inch pipe..
and what's this diy exhaust brake??

#4 ·
I'll have to get out and take a picture of it tomorrow.
My DIY brake is the backpressure valve in the turbo that gets actuated for quick warm-ups in the winter. I've made it work on a switch so I can activate it anytime manually. I have a manual trans so I didn't have to modify the torque converter. You can do a search to see how it's done.

#7 ·
Jarrod's truck doesn't have the early 99 intake tube on it any more. It has the 99.5 up one that has the bend on it. I went and got the newer one from ford for my early 99 too. It just seems to fit better with it and it wasn't expensive ( the piece between airbox and engine bracket).

#9 ·
Jarrod that engine bay is clean! Wish mine looked like that...its hard to keep anything clean though with crushed limestone roads...that dust gets everywhere and sticks to everything! :tard:

#11 ·
ben, how do you ensure a good seal on the elbow to filter junction? and where did ya get that sock cover for your filter?

#13 ·
went to a junkyard and found a 2000 7.3.. got the intake hose off of it for 15 bucks, and my diy install literally took 4 minutes!!! i may be imagining it, but it seems to idle smoother and spool up a little quicker..
goin straight thru exhaust this weekend,, and maybe get the pcm out of that truck and play!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.