Head porting?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2007, 06:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Head porting??

Just for a future reference. At some time in the future I know I'll have to either have this engine replaced or rebuilt. The ODO shows 265k in an 03, the engine is from a late 99 so no clue as to its mileage. For the time, it runs great, thanks to Scotts magic at Trucks Unlimited down Winston-Salem way, but at some point, she'll need a transplant. So...here's a question I've been pondering lately. I know with gassers theres a lot of "dime store" tricks you can do when rebuilding an engine to increase both HP and MPG. One such trick is to have the heads "ported", by smoothing out the "holes" both intake and exhaust, thereby allowing both to flow much more smoothly and cleanly. In a gasser, it can dramatically increase efficentcy (sorry sp), and was wondering if the same would hold true for a diesel? This is important to me because the very nature of my Beastie means lousy mileage. (see pics in my garage) It would also seem that if one could somehow alter or modify the fuel spray from the injectors to get a finer spray/mist pattern, one could end up with a better burn of the fuel...which, would follow, getting the same "bang" for less "buck". Opinions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2007, 07:46 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
actually porting is where the holes are made bigger and polishing is smoothing the ports out to make the air flow more smoothly.

Now yes you can port and polish a diesel head. But if your going to do it you might as well make the valves bigger. You can also get a bigger cam to. But take into consideration this is not cheap to do. The parts are expensive because majority of the parts needed to build a diesel like this is going to be forged parts. Due to the high compression and heat that is made by a diesel your going to need strong parts.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:55 AM
one day at a time

BC, I don't think he's going for more power if I read correctly, so I wouldn't go with the bigger valves or cam. His rig is his camper and he's asking about porting vs. efficiency and fuel mileage increasing if I read it right. Howard, I don't honestly know if spending the time and $$$ to port/polish your heads would be worth it, but hopefully somebody else with an opinion will chime in.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:44 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu873 View Post
BC, I don't think he's going for more power if I read correctly, so I wouldn't go with the bigger valves or cam. His rig is his camper and he's asking about porting vs. efficiency and fuel mileage increasing if I read it right. Howard, I don't honestly know if spending the time and $$$ to port/polish your heads would be worth it, but hopefully somebody else with an opinion will chime in.
The way I read it, I thought he wanted more hp and torq. Either way porting and polishing usually shows less mpg when it is all done. They do it to gas engines because it allows for more air/ fuel mixture so it will make more power. I have never seen anything ported and polished getting better mpg.

But that is usually because those engines are not built to get good mpg, they are built to go fast down a 1/4 mile piece of ashphalt.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:58 AM

ok..well, here's my reasoning behind this, yep, any time you rebuild an engine, it ain't gonna be cheap. I put on an average of between 55 and 60,000 miles a year, and we all know diesel isn't gonna get cheaper. I'm looking at ways to make an engine more fuel efficient, and yeah, gain a little more "umph" in the process. Seems to me, and granted, I'm just about half a notch above "idiot" when it comes to diesel (but trust me..I'm learning..LOL), that the less an engine has to work to produce the "bank", ie ported heads, etc..the less "buck" it would cost to pay for that bang. If somehow I could see 15-17 MPG out of this Beastie, to paraphrase Ross Peroe(sp?) "I'd be happier than an Old pig in a new mud hole". The economics of it boils down to this, at 55-60,000 miles/year average, and 3.00 a gallon, I don't think it would take that long to recoup the costs of such "upgrades". Currently, I'm averaging about 12 with a DP chip set on 80econ, so even a mild increase of say 2 MPG would be substantial.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:07 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Ok but here is another problem Howardtm. Your wanting power with mileage. That is like asking the bank for all its money but not robbing it. Any time you port/polish, or want to have extra power your going to have to give something in return usually mileage.

I think a different turbo, injectors, fuel system upgrades may acheive what your looking for better then porting your heads.

An engine that has high mileage usually is going to have low mpg. It maybe time for a rebuild. Just a mild rebuild may increase your mpg's. As a fresh engine will run more efficiently.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:15 AM

thats a thought, but right now I'm still trying to heal after the butt f##king Allegheny Ford gave me on the "not fixing" of this Beastie, so ANY expenditure is way off in the distance. But I'm of the thought that if I'm gonna replace/rebuild an engine, might as well do all the little tricks and goodies while its still OUT of the truck... rather than discovering an "aw schyt!" item that needs replaced and would have been a very minor proceedure if the engine was still on a stand...we've all been there done that..LOL

Last edited by howardtm; 05-29-2007 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
In my opinion, a quality gasket match and polish job could give you some benefit. I would be very, very leery about allowing someone to port my diesel heads. There are a large number of people who are competent to do this same work on a naturally aspirated, spark ignition engine, but not very many who know how to do it for a compression ignition boosted one. They are two different animals, especially when turbochargers are the method of boost.

Making sure all the ports match very closely to create smooth transitions, and that the gaskets have been trimmed to match those same openings, as well as a mild polish to remove casting lines and rough texture is as far as I would be willing to go in an engine that would be used for an on-road application.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:48 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardtm View Post
thats a thought, but right now I'm still trying to heal after the butt f##king Allegheny Ford gave me on the "not fixing" of this Beastie, so ANY expenditure is way off in the distance. But I'm of the thought that if I'm gonna replace/rebuild an engine, might as well do all the little tricks and goodies while its still OUT of the truck... rather than discovering an "aw schyt!" item that needs replaced and would have been a very minor proceedure if the engine was still on a stand...we've all been there done that..LOL

Ok well you will have the engine torn down and the heads to the machine shop for a valve job go ahead and have the head ported and polished since it is going to be at the machine shop anyways. At least i hope that is part of your rebuild.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:25 AM

thats what I'm thinking. At some point, I can always pick up a good "builder" engine without a lot of cash outlay and slowly rebuild it as funds come available. Have the heads ported/polished, valves replaced, replace rings, bearings, etc..actually, the whole 9 yards. even thinking about having the crank, rods, pistons etc balanced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.