Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

broken leaf spring

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  coot1 
#1 ·
one of my rear leaf springs broke right after where the u bolt goes arond the pack. I was able to pull the broken piece out with my bare hands. I have a 4inch super lift.
1, is it ok to drive still (not tow)
2. do i need a whole new spring pack or just 1 spring, and should i replace both rear sides
3. is it different because its lifted, do i have to get the springs from superlift, or just a stock replacement
4 whats the easiest best way to go about fixing this and how much should i expect to shovel out?

#3 ·
No, it is not ok to drive with a broken leaf spring. For one thing your vehicle would sag on the side with the broken spring. Secondly, you never know when the next spring would break and it may become a disaster while you are on freeway at 60 miles/hr.

I would change not just one leaf. I am not sure you can buy only one leaf unless you go to the junk yard.

I would not change just one spring either. If one side is broke, you are looking at metal fatigue and the other side may go at any time.

I would replace the entire spring on both sides for safety sake. Faulty spring also shorten tire life cycle, you have to take into consideration the cost of prematurely worn out tires.

#4 ·
If you have a good truck spring shop in your area they will fix you up. They will be able to tell what needs replacing. In my experience you probably need only the spring that is bad replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.