Antifreeze Leak from Waterpump - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Antifreeze Leak from Waterpump

Hey guys. My dad owns a 1999 F350 and he called me this morning and said he went to leave for work and found a big puddle of antifreeze under his truck. He said he had a quick look and it is dripping off of the crank pulley. I know it is most likely coming from the weep hole on the water pump and he is going to need a new waterpump. But he is going to have a closer look when he gets home from work and make sure it is actually coming out of the weep hole and it isnt a hose or anything else.

My question for you guys is it looks like I will be spending tomorrow replacing a water pump on a 7.3. I have already done some searching and found a video on youtube showing how to Re & Re the waterpump and is there anything else I will need to get the job done besides the waterpump? There is going to be a gasket between the block and pump that I will have to order as well right? Are there any other gaskets or seals that I will need?

I already own a set of fan clutch removal wrenches and if those wont work I will use the air hammer like other have when removing their fan.

His truck right now has green antifreeze in it, is that the correct antifreeze? Cause I will need to pick some up to replace what has leaked out. Should the coolant be checked with DCA test strips while it is out to make sure it doesnt need to have any additive added to it?

Thanks for your help, so far it looks like it is going to be easier to replace the water pump on his 7.3 that it would be to replace the one on my 6.0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2010, 10:08 AM

Make sure you replace the gasket also on the metal triagular shaped flanged hose extention where it attaches to the water pump....I tried to re-use my original one.....didn't seal.....Fred
Old 08-05-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Swanson View Post
Make sure you replace the gasket also on the metal triagular shaped flanged hose extention where it attaches to the water pump....I tried to re-use my original one.....didn't seal.....Fred
I think you are talking about the thermostat housing gasket. Thanks I will make sure I get one. Does anybody have any torque specs for the waterpump?
Old 08-05-2010, 02:14 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm pretty sure it's 18ft/lbs.

Have you seen this? ->
Old 08-05-2010, 08:10 PM

Yes I watched that video before I started. The new water pump is in. Only took about 2 hours. I already owned a set of fan clutch wrenches from when I replaced a fan clutch on my old 7.3 IDI. Unfortunately that set wouldn't work so I ended up using a strap wrench on the water pump pulley and broke the fan loose. If that didnt work I was going to get the air hammer. The only issue I had was when I removed the water pump there was 3 long bolts, 1 medium length bolt and 5 short bolts. The new waterpump came with new bolts but it came with 3 long ones and 2 short ones and 4 really short ones. The 4 really short ones werent even long enough to come out of the flange of the water pump let alone thread into the block. So I ended up using what ever new bolts I could and reusing some of the old bolts.

Got it all back together with no leaks so I would say everything went well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.