Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Power mirrors not working properly. where to check

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  enoyes12 
#1 ·
I just installed new Kool Vue brand mirrors. They seem to be as good as OE quality but the mirrors will only go down when pressing the switch in any direction. Then I have to manually press the mirrors back up again. They won't go side to side (in or out) and they won't adjust upward. Do I need a new switch now? Anything else to check out? Thanks

#2 ·
Wiring '08 Mirrors

Did you make sure you had good connections? Here is the wire swap in order to get the power mirrors to work correctly. Make sure you connected the wires correctly:

Here is the color combo that we finally ended up with to change the left/right direction:

Switch side: ---- Mirror side:

Driver's side:

red ---- yellow
blue ---- blue
yellow ---- red

Passenger's side:

purple ---- purple
yellow ---- green
green ---- yellow

#3 ·
The mirrors came with a three prong connector that just slid into the connector that was already there on the wires of the truck. Do I need to go back in there and see if the color codes are the way you just described? And would it be alright to cut off these connectors and splice the wires together accordingly if the colors are not the way you described???? Thanks

#4 ·
I assumed you just installed the new '08-'10 Kool Vue mirrors (that is the latest craze). If that is not the case, and you just purchased your year mirror then they should just plug in like you said with matching colors. You may just have gotten a lemon set of mirrors. First off, I would look at the position of the colored wires in the connectors, and that they are matching up (mirror side to switch side). Make sure they didn't accidentally pin the connector wrong. Next, if your old mirrors are power, I would just disconnect the new ones and plug back in your old mirrors to see if they work correctly (don't have to mount them, just move switch and see if the mirrors move). If your old mirrors work correctly and your new mirror wires are correctly pinned, then I would say you probably got a bad set of new mirrors.

#6 ·
My factory mirrors do that, they only go down and diagonal.

#7 ·
If the wires are not in the correct place, you may not have to cut and reconnect the wires. If you look inside the plug there should be a locking tab that holds each blade or pin in the plastic connector. Use a micro screw driver or other small tool to push the tab and pull that wire out. Make sure the tab is pushed back out so it will lock in place when you put it in the new position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.