Oil Q's... Stay with AMSOIL? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Q's... Stay with AMSOIL?

Bought my '01 7.3L Ex with AMSOIL in it...keep going with it or what? I don't plan on buying another truck or motor for a very long time. This worth the extra pennies up front. My wife is gonna crap when I do this next oil change...

Never messed with this product at all....

Don't think my truck has any special filter bypass system....Filter P/N- EA099 is what PO gave me.

Prev O says he was running AMSOIL 5W-30 HD diesel oil in it....

-Should I be running 5W-30 or 5W(or15)-40?

Some details...
- I live in the FL Panhandle where there's a wide temp range through out the year (low 30's up to 100*).
-Tow 8-9Klbs or less load once in a while when on Jeep pulling duty.
-Usually the kid-mobile.
-Has 180K on it now with regular service.

Recommendations please, and vendors if you can swing me a deal feel free to let me know. ship to 32507

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
AMSOIL is the Monster Cable equivalent in the petroleum world.

It has much more to do with making You feel good about using a, supposed, superior product than actually working any better than any other decent one.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Serving Our Country!

SO should I switch to 5W-40 or 15W-40 or stay with the 5W-30 that the PO said is in it?
Old 07-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Serving Our Country!

For your area I'd think the SAE 15W-40 Heavy-Duty Diesel and Marine Motor Oil would work well if you stick with Amsoil. Those low temps are not that bad. It's cheaper than the series 3000 HDD oil by about $6.00/gallon. The HDD series 3000 oil is supposed to give better mileage though.
I'm running the 5-30 in mine now, I like the way it runs with it, mileage is good too.

I've been running Amsoil for 2 years now and like how it works in my truck, much better cold starts from when I had the 15-40 Rotella in it, runs smoother and quieter too.

You can't go wrong running it, that's for sure. Make sure to get it analyzed periodically. I sent mine in with about 7000 miles on it and it came back with great results, all numbers were well within the ranges they should be.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Serving Our Country!

^^^^
Thanks for the info.
Is the filter P/N i posted above sound right... ****nevermind I got it.

Last edited by CutterN55; 07-30-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:27 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to ramsdell_
AMSOIL recommends to use the Diesel & Marine 15W-40 or Synthetic 5W-40 Diesel Oil. You can probably run the 5W-30 without problems but I would stick with the recommended fluids. The oil filter EA099 is the correct P/N.

Quote:
This worth the extra pennies up front. My wife is gonna crap when I do this next oil change...
AMSOIL offers extended drain intervals - 3X OEM drain intervals which can be extended more with oil analysis. You will not have to change your oil as much saving you time and money.

Let me know if you would like a quote.

Mark
Old 08-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsdell_ View Post
AMSOIL recommends to use the Diesel & Marine 15W-40 or Synthetic 5W-40 Diesel Oil. You can probably run the 5W-30 without problems but I would stick with the recommended fluids. The oil filter EA099 is the correct P/N.

AMSOIL offers extended drain intervals - 3X OEM drain intervals which can be extended more with oil analysis. You will not have to change your oil as much saving you time and money.

Let me know if you would like a quote.

Mark
Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and ordered the 15W-40 HDD oil from AMSOIL and did the prefered customer thing. should be on my door step in a day or two. I guess the 5W-30 3000 series is recommended as well but for real low temps and it's pricey.
I paid $164 with shipping for 5 gallons of 15W-40 HDD and a filter. If you can beat that I'll look you up next go around.

Last edited by CutterN55; 08-01-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I use the Ford Motorcraft Diesel oil. Mainly because it's specifically designed for our Powerstroke engines. It has all of the chemicals and compounds that are vital for our engine, but by all means get whatever's comfortable to you. They all work.

Water Pumps are prone to failing in our engines (the 7.3L) around 150k miles... It's recommended to get the Bosch Water Pump, for about $140, and a diesel site 203 degree thermostat, about $30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.