K&N CAI known to contribute to dusting? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 06:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question K&N CAI known to contribute to dusting?

I remember hearing/reading one time to stay away from K&N cold air intakes as they are probably bad to contribute to dusting the turbo and/or engine.

Thoughts or facts regarding this? Or are they good filters as good as any other CAI?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 10:07 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i have heard not to go with the k and n filters for these trucks. but i dont know that anyone actually has proof that it was due to the k and n. im not trying to start an argument with anyone i just am not sure of the answer.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:21 AM

I'm not in any position to bad mouth K&N, I've not had one, exept on my ATV, it was on it when I got it. However, if you can get a baldwin/wix 6637 and make your own intake like a lot of us have, why spend the money on a name? The 6637 may not be re-usable, but for the cost, (and size, it's HUGE) it's worth it to me. Just my thoughts... I'm sure others will have first hand knolage of the K&N's....
Old 07-26-2010, 10:50 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to F250 Fever
Stay away from the box filters, the cone filters are fine and if your even worried about that then throw a sock on it... well I would if I drove dirt roads a lot but I don't...
Old 07-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've had a stock replacement K&N in my stock airbox since I bought the truck with 36,000 miles on it. It now has 142,000. At every oil change, I pull the filter to check, and have never had a trace of dirt in the intake. I've heard of the concern with these, but have never experienced the problem myself.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

This is my experience with a K&N intake on my truck. I bought and installed it in March of '06. I did buy it before joining this forum and before I read the bunches of info PRO/CON about K&N being on diesel engines. It's working for me.

After I read the negatives, I did see that there were some who had actual personal experiences with them not working well. Many, though, just jumped on the K&N Bashing bandwagon seemingly just 'cause they could. Everyone needs to make up their own mind.

I do clean mine more often than the 50,000 miles K&N says you can go. I'm not an off-roader, though occasionally I have been on dirt or gravel roads. The truck is my daily driver and I also tow a 31' 5th Wheel up to 10 times a year. For a while, after I read the negatives, about once a month or so, I would take the cone filter off, take a clean microfiber towel and reach into the tube going to the turbo and wipe the tube to see if there was dust, dirt or anything else in there. I did not find any. Now I wipe the tube when I clean the filter and I still don't find anything in there. My boost gauge still shows the turbo making plenty of boost while I drive and I can still hear the turbo whistling plenty loud out the exhaust after 4 years of use. So...my conclusion is, FOR ME, K&N is a good filter.

I refer you back to the end of the second paragraph.

Last edited by SuperCrutyPS; 07-26-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:41 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you properly maintain your K&N airfilter, and lube it properly, it should be fine.

That said, there is a specific way to do so, that many people dont do. If not done right it will contribute to dusting.

I've heard from so many people to NOT use K&N airfilters, why even chance it. Heard it from loggers, truck drivers, older guys, and many people on forums. You can run one if you like. But I really dont want to pull my turbo to rebuild it so I'm going to stear clear.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
So...my conclusion is, FOR ME, K&N is a good filter.

I refer you back to the end of the second paragraph.

Do you have the stock airbox replacement K&N filter, or do you have the CAI style (the conical style)?

I've just learned that maybe most folks are advising to stay clear of the stock airbox replacement elements and NOT the CAI style??? Is this correct???

Thanks
Old 07-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

I have the cone with the tube. I removed my stock box to put this in.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:53 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to F250 Fever
Everyone is talking about the stock box... cone stlye are fine...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.