Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Cool down idling

4K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  scottiebe 
#1 ·
New to the diesel world. I have a 99 7.3, A uncle whom has owned diesels all his life tells me after running engine and parking, I should let idle for 4 or 5 minutes to allow turbo to cool down before shutting off. He says this is in the manual but I have read it completely and don't find anything stating that. He says over a period of time, if I keep shutting engine off as soon as I park, the turbo bearings will seize up.

Has anyone heard of this?

#2 ·
It is always a good idea to let the EGT's cool down before you shut the truck off. I usually let mine get below 400* before I turn it off. The time varies anything from a minute to 4 minutes depending on what I was doing with the truck before i shut her down.

#3 ·
I have always idled my turbo cars/trucks to give them some time to cool down before you shut off their cooling. Length of time depends on how hard and long I was running.

#5 ·
yeah it always a good idea. just round the town drivin it will cool down right away, but if u are towing/hauling let it idle down for a few. do you have an egt gauge, that will help u figure it out. like stated above, try to let egt's come down to 400 or so before shutdown.

#6 ·
I live at the top of a one mile hill, letting it cool down has become habit. By the time I slide open the barn door, move the truck inside, close the door, it's normaly cool enough... as posted above, about 350 or less by the EGT gauge.

#7 ·
If your driving down the freeway and stop to get fuel I would let it idle until your EGTs drop to below 400 degrees. Usually driving around town it won't be a problem for the EGTs to drop

#8 ·
I am like the rest of the guys here, I always let it drop to at least 400. If I am towing the trailer and just stop for a rest room break, I don't shut it off, I use High Idle.

Doug

#9 ·
I put in the BD cool down timer and it runs till egts are at 300. most times it only runs for a min. sometimes it runs for 4. but i dont have to sit and wait. lock the truck and walk away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.