Higher than normal EGTs??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Higher than normal EGTs???Boost leak?

Hi guys, I'm a new member and hope to learn as much as i can from the forum and it's people to make my truck last as long as i can.

I have a 2000 F450 CC 2WD with 115k miles, truck is stock except for International Up Pipes and EGT, trans temp and Boost gauges. I got it to tow a 35' enclosed Gooseneck with around 14k lbs. and so far cruising at 65mph @2500 rpm i see around 800-900 degrees and if climbing a steep grade might see 1000-1100 degrees (probe is on the downpipe right after turbo ) but yesterday coming back from Watkins Glen everything seemed to move up like 200 degrees and what i use to climb with 13-15 psi would take 17-18 psi now. had to feather the throttle to keep it from going with hotter EGTs.
After stopping at a hotel for the night i got back on the road and truck was its usual self, EGTs, Boost, ETC all normal for 600 miles plus, I didn't do or change anything on the truck, same oil, diesel, load, etc so im waaaaaay lost.

Anybody has any ideas??? do my "normal" numbers sound about right? also what would you guys recommend for mods to bring EGTs down? I don't want anything crazy, power is good enough for what i need it and i don't want to hurt reliability since truck lives hooked up to the trailer except when using it to go back and forth from track to hotel.

Sorry for the long thread and thanks for taking the time to help me.

Javier P.

Last edited by eviljarv; 07-27-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

im not sure, but most of the people that i know always puts the egt probe in the driver side manifold or the up-pipe not in the down pipe. .
Old 07-24-2010, 06:30 AM
Premium Member

Yeah I know but previous owner installed it there, I'm planning on moving it when i get the exhaust upgraded.
What's the max boost in a stock 7.3? Mine only gets 17-18
Old 07-24-2010, 06:37 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

Could it just have been higher ambient temps? Gets close to 100 here in the afternoon this time of year and I see higher temps all around.

Welcome to the org.!
Old 07-24-2010, 07:11 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Welcome to the Org. You really need to move your EGT probe to the right location where you can get some numbers that mean something. Being that everything went back to normal the next day, I would agree with Hank it was probably just a really hot day and she was working hard. But to answer your question, good airflow is what keeps EGT's down and proper tuning. I would certainly get some good custom tunes from Jody or TW. Towing with them is totally different. I have never had to back out of the skinny pedal due to high EGT's. I run DP's tunes and love them. But get a better flowing intake and remove the stock muffler and use the Walker BTM. This will remove the restriction in your exhaust and will drop your EGT's. Between the Ford AIS/ BTM combo my EGT's dropped 100-150 degrees. So welcome to the org. If I can help you with anything just let me know.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Interesting... your numbers dont seem to far from mine when I had my stock exhaust. I would see the same boost pressures and about the same EGTs. and the same fluctuations. I have upgrade a couple weeks ago to a 4" MBRP Exhaust kit, and my EGTs dropped 250*. It was the best upgrade I have done so far. The truck seems to run way better and pulls my trailer(s) easier.

One thing you might want to check, see if you down pipe is loose at the turbo. When I did my exhaust I found mine to be finger tight if that! Once I got it out, you could see where it was blowing by. I have a feeling that sucker was moving around when I hit decent bumps, thus causing my weird temps. Since my exhaust upgrade, haven't seen the temps fluctuate any more. Also my boost has increased to 20-21lbs when I am pulling hard.

Check it out, or just bite the bullet and get your exhaust upgraded if you can. I got mine from Performance Truck Products and couldnt be happier. They are a vendor on here.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Premium Member

Hank: I don't think the outside temp was the problem, the higher EGTs were while i was driving on 60-70 degree weather and the next day i drove thru VA/NC/SC on 90+ weather and everything was fine.

NCHornet: i will be moving the probe as soon as i get the exhaust brake, also I'll look into the stuff you told me. where did you get the tune from? also is it worth going with a full exhaust or the Walker BTM would be enough? like i said earlier this is a work truck so all out power is not really on my list.

BigBlueDually: everything is tight, i just did the international up pipes a few weeks ago and checked everything while i was doing them.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

I got my tunes from DP-Tuner, just google them. You don't need a 4" system, the restriction is in the generic muffler Ford used, just crawl under and look what they did. I know this isn't popular advice on diesel forums where everyone thinks they need a 4 or 5 inch exaust, but it is 100% fact proven true. I got my Walker BTM from Napa for $45. Feel free to PM me with any ? I modded my truck for towing my TT and all around better performance, if you do things right your powertrain will actually last longer if modded right. I know for a fact my truck works less to pull my TT than it did in the stock format. This has to equal to longer component life. But you get these idiots who buy 140hp tune and put it on a stock powertrain that was never designed to handle it and they drive it like a idiot and then blame the truck when it fails. There is a right way and a wrong way to add more power, the choice is yours.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i just checked napa online, they want $77 for the btm. rock auto has it for $46, summit wants $54.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Premium Member

$77 doesn't sound bad since you can pick it up, also i have a business account with them so we'll see what they charge me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.