Brake Controller Problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 06:44 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brake Controller Problem

I just installed a brake controller and it won't recognize when the trailer is hooked to it. I measured voltage on the wire coming from the brake pedal. I measured voltage coming out of the controller when the pedal is pressed but I have no trailer brakes. I also attempted to measure power just before the plug on the brake wire and I got nothing with the pedal depressed. All the lights work on the trailer. The previous owner of the truck did a hack job installing their brake controller so i'm not sure of the validity of the wiring. Does the wire coming from the brake controller go through a fuse/relay before going to the back of the truck? Also, what does the auxiliary wire actually do and could this cause this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Make sure you have a fuse in the towing fuse location. Why would anyone hack a wiring harness up instead of spending the $10 and buy the proper plug n play harness? Good luck in locating the problem.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:20 PM

That is a good question, but I have a controller where they used tap slices right above the connector

go figure

The 2001 needs relays in the box right next to your PDU under the hood one is for auxillary and one is for brakes I believe. Also a fuse in location 18 I believe in the PDU for trailer brakes.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:54 PM

Okay I got it working. I removed all of the splices and wiring they put in there. Double checked all the relays and fuses and then hooked it up to a different known working trailer and it works now. SUCCESS . Either something was making a bad connection in the splices or the other trailer was bad. Either way i'm done and happy now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.