PAINT QUESTION - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 04:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PAINT QUESTION

I'm going to paint the truck and my first job will be to fill in dents and scratches on the bed. Since I don't do this kind of work for a living, it's been several years since I've filled and sprayed filler primer, so doubt that the work will look ready to paint after the first go-round.

Fill, wet sand, prime, sand, then do it over again until the surface is smooth, so anything with a pot life of several hours isn't going to last.

What I'd like to know is what kind of primer will keep in a can for several days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2010, 04:26 AM

Clean the tip of your gun really good when your done for the day and stick the whole gun paint and all in the fridge. It will keep atleast overnight.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:52 AM

Neat trick. Does it help to use a slow reducer?
Old 07-21-2010, 05:17 AM

wiht a 2 part primer u cna only mix wat u need. at our shop we use montana 2K primer. this way u mix wat u need and then activate it (and reduce it if u need to) it wont sit int he gun for long but long as u dont activate it it wont get hard on ya.

PS- i wouldnt wet sand any body work to prime. jus some dry 320 is fine for primer, never go coarser than 180 for primer to cover or ull see scratches. when ur ready to paint then u can go over ur primed surfaces with 400 wet and be ready for a sealer. id go over the old paint with a 600 for paint, jus make sure if its a silver or high metalic color to get the scratches covered or ull see them thru the clear.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDiesel View Post
PS- i wouldnt wet sand any body work to prime. jus some dry 320 is fine for primer, never go coarser than 180 for primer to cover or ull see scratches. :
The paint on the truck needs to come off; it's about the worst re-paint I've ever seen; looks like it was painted over the OEM finish without sanding, so there's paint flaked off and some bubbles under the paint.

Thinking about using just to get the old paint off, then up the grades until 320 or so. Time isn't my big challenge, so what do you think about getting the old coat off?
Old 07-21-2010, 10:13 AM

thats always a PITA to do. pretty much watever works best for the paint. somtimes we use paint stripper (time consuming and makes a hel of a mess). or jus use some coarse sand paper (very time consuming). try getting a good air squirter and try and blow all the junk paint off, if u can. itll take quite a bit of air so maybe thatd be out of the option unless u hav some big air in ur shop. we use 2-5hp compressors.

its reasons like this that any respectable body shop HATES places liek maaco or econo or anywhere thatll do a cheap paintjob.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:21 AM

Air? Good idea, and I have a big LOUD compressor in the garage that can supply it. The nice thing is that I have the time to do the work, and the bed is three separate panels so I can do one panel at a time without wearing my azz out.

I want to stay away from chemicals if I can so the OEM paint doesn't get wrecked...
Old 07-21-2010, 10:29 AM

yeah then paint stripper is def out, thatll take it down to the metal. ur best bet would be to try and blow as much of the paint off as u can then try and sand watever is left. if they didnt sand any of the truck prior to painting u hav some serious work to do but if they jus didnt get around the edges and thats where its flaking off then maybe u can feather the old paint bak and jus prime it to make the 2 coats even.

dam jus thnking of people that do that kinda work pisses me off. dunno why sombody would ruin a nice truck like that. i could understand if it was a ole junker civic or somthing.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:04 PM

Here's what we have after sanding the blisters out. What do you think, should I try filler primer, or glazing compound, or get more aggressive with the sanding?
Attached Thumbnails
PAINT QUESTION-f350-paint-work-005.jpg   PAINT QUESTION-f350-paint-work-001.jpg   PAINT QUESTION-f350-paint-work-004.jpg  
Old 07-21-2010, 04:08 PM

can u take the air blower and blow any of it off? put the tip of the blower right on the edge of the top/bottom paint and see if any flakes off. if not then take ur sand paper and try and feather the edge down.

by the look of the second pic the paint on the ridge ont hebed will come off some more with a air blower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.