no reverse - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
no reverse

2000 F450 4X4 7.3 PSD Chipped
Aux tranny cooler with separate fan

I pulled a huge load on a goose-neck trailer about 9 miles in low range 4X4, hubs in of course. Took over four hours to go 24 miles total, the last nine really tortured the poor truck. Over heated the transmission to around 260* for a short time. The fluid is burnt, duh.
Now when I use reverse I need to really rev up the engine and then it slams into gear. I didn't use reverse during the entire loaded trip, just pulled forward. All my forward gears work OK. Haven't checked for codes but the OD light hasn't flashed.
Changing the filter and fluid on Monday, what should I look for while I have the pan off? What do you guys think happened?

Hope I don't need a rebuild, this tranny is only a couple years old (rebuilt) but has been worked quite hard. Nothing like last week though.

On a second note; how much work is it to put in a 5 or 6 speed? I am getting sick of this automatic for the kind of work I have been doing.

Thanks
Ken Gardner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If the fluid is burned and no reverse, say hello to new trans.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by akghound View Post
2000 F450 4X4 7.3 PSD Chipped
Aux tranny cooler with separate fan

I pulled a huge load on a goose-neck trailer about 9 miles in low range 4X4, hubs in of course. Took over four hours to go 24 miles total, the last nine really tortured the poor truck. Over heated the transmission to around 260* for a short time. The fluid is burnt, duh.
Now when I use reverse I need to really rev up the engine and then it slams into gear. I didn't use reverse during the entire loaded trip, just pulled forward. All my forward gears work OK. Haven't checked for codes but the OD light hasn't flashed.
Changing the filter and fluid on Monday, what should I look for while I have the pan off? What do you guys think happened?

Hope I don't need a rebuild, this tranny is only a couple years old (rebuilt) but has been worked quite hard. Nothing like last week though.

On a second note; how much work is it to put in a 5 or 6 speed? I am getting sick of this automatic for the kind of work I have been doing.

Thanks
Ken Gardner
wth..no offense but why in gods green earth did you rev it up high enough in 4x4 low to get the trans to 260... 260!!!! jesus..

safe mark is 200-210...after that is catastrophic failure..

Id be saying you better go buy a trans..

DONT pull anything its not ment too...get a fully built trans...
Old 07-18-2010, 05:35 PM

How heavy were you pulling that you needed 4L? You might need at the least new clutch packs, fluid, filters.....
Old 07-18-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhoghp View Post
How heavy were you pulling that you needed 4L? You might need at the least new clutch packs, fluid, filters.....
Everything I've ever been told is to replace the torque converter everytime you have a transmission failure that is from friction material being completely worn out, or when internal components fail. The fluid circulates through the converter, so whatever killed your tranny is most likely in the converter also. Then you install the new trans with the old converter you may introduce the bad stuff right back into the new trans, and kill it. For the price of a new supposedly high performance converter, I'd replace it everytime I replace a transmission on these trucks.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03_Turbo7.3 View Post
wth..no offense but why in gods green earth did you rev it up high enough in 4x4 low to get the trans to 260... 260!!!! jesus..

safe mark is 200-210...after that is catastrophic failure..

Id be saying you better go buy a trans..

DONT pull anything its not ment too...get a fully built trans...
What happened was the breaker that powers the fan on the aux tranny cooler failed and the fan quit working. Of course I didn't realize this until I noticed the tranny temp was too high. Immediately I rewired it to a fuse that was not being used so it continued to work. After doing so the temps hung around 200 and reached 210 maybe 215 a couple of times on the hardest pulls. The engine never really reved up all that much, just a steady hard pull for a long time.
I'll be the first to admit that I expect a lot out of my truck. I DO ask a lot of it, I pull heavy loads over tall mountains, haul loads of hay and lumber to remote "Back Country" locations that require a tough truck. Sometimes I have chains all the way around and bumper deep snow with 10-12 tons of hay on a 20 trailer. This truck is not babied. That being said, let me say that I am not complaining about the break down, just seeking advise on the tranny situation.
I had used Dodges up until three years ago. Always had manual trannys until now. I picked up the Ford because it had a full size crew cab and I have a large family. I like the PSD but these transmissions are not all that strong or forgiving.
I took the pan off today and found very little in it or on the magnet. Just some super fine metal. No brass, plastic, o-rings or large metal of any kind. Of course the oil was way burned. I'm going to do a flush and replace the filter and cross my fingers that I have not totally destroyed the thing.
Any other suggestions are appreciated. I still may need a rebuild, hope not.
Thanks for the info and advise.
Ken Gardner

Chained up for the last three or four miles on this load. Lots of mud!!

Last edited by akghound; 07-19-2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: add pix
Old 07-19-2010, 11:03 AM

I use low range almost daily for the gear reduction. Here in the hills of West Virginia, it comes in handy. It also helps take the load off the tranny, instead of slipping in 1st gear to go slow, it's hummin' right along in 2nd or 3rd while in low range, higher gears alow the tork converter to lock up, lowers heat, over all I feel it's better for the trans.

If you had it up to 260 degrees, the tranny is toast. The fluid change will likely get you enough life to drive the truck to the tranny shop with out a tow truck... do much else with it, and your asking for trouble.

I had mine rebuilt about 3 years ago, local guy, so far I'm happy. Didn't pay much, but now with 50K hard miles on it, it seems to be getting soft again. It's been warm a few times, but not as hot as yours. I've cought it by the time it hits 220 degrees.

Good luck with yours...
Old 07-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
get a BTS and they send a 6oh cooler with it, and be done with that mess. and obviously dont get it that hot again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.