Converting 2wd to 4wd.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 06:00 PM
wants to go 2wd to 4wd

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SniperFolf
Talking Converting 2wd to 4wd..

So well today I got stuck.. Time to finish this project since i first started this I now have a front axle in and no transfer case or transmission to drive it. So what next i figured those two im really dont wanna go with a man.. due to the issues of installing clutch and devices.. but dunno.. if its not too hard.. also i want a non electric transfer case unless its also pretty easy to install so what kind of options do i have?

Last edited by SniperFolf; 03-22-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 06:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd buy a totaled gas 2005+ 4x4 and swap everything, and then find a 4x4 tailhousing for your tranny. Plenty of folks have converted to 4wd, you just need to start gathering parts.
And Tank was running 41"s on 4.5" of lift because he had cut-out flares giving him much larger wheelwells. He has a cool youtube video of all the things hes done to that truck.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jonboywv12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Beast View Post
I'd buy a totaled gas 2005+ 4x4 and swap everything, and then find a 4x4 tailhousing for your tranny. Plenty of folks have converted to 4wd, you just need to start gathering parts.
And Tank was running 41"s on 4.5" of lift because he had cut-out flares giving him much larger wheelwells. He has a cool youtube video of all the things hes done to that truck.
tanks trucks is one of a kind! its an awesome rig that will stand up for pretty much anything u want it to!

Old 07-13-2010, 06:56 PM
wants to go 2wd to 4wd

Well thats what I wanna do with mine... but not that extreme or maybe exept for the rock crawling .. so an 05 or newer gasser what about the shocks and the springs will they work?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperFolf View Post
Well thats what I wanna do with mine... but not that extreme or maybe exept for the rock crawling .. so an 05 or newer gasser what about the shocks and the springs will they work?
I'm not sure if the gas trucks use a lighter coil spring than the diesel, but if you plan on lifting your truck you might as well look for a gasser for its axles, t-case, and linkage since they fetch a lower price. And then throw the lift springs in while you are swapping in the axle.
But I'm sure a diesel chassis can be had for cheap also.
Also if you go for an 05+ front axle you will need to swap in the rear as well to the correct wheel spacing on the front and back. Thats the only drawback to going with the later model coil axles, but that does give you the chance to run some of the cooler '05-'11 wheels.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:36 PM

Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
Quote:
I'm not sure if the gas trucks use a lighter coil spring than the diesel, but if you plan on lifting your truck you might as well look for a gasser for its axles, t-case, and linkage since they fetch a lower price. And then throw the lift springs in while you are swapping in the axle.
But I'm sure a diesel chassis can be had for cheap also.
Also if you go for an 05+ front axle you will need to swap in the rear as well to the correct wheel spacing on the front and back. Thats the only drawback to going with the later model coil axles, but that does give you the chance to run some of the cooler '05-'11 wheels.
i run them and im all stock

if you can find a rolling chassis off a later year model truck.. id just buy it and swap everything..make sure you get something with the same length or youll need to track down diff drive shafts too
Old 07-14-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03_Turbo7.3 View Post
i run them and im all stock

if you can find a rolling chassis off a later year model truck.. id just buy it and swap everything..make sure you get something with the same length or youll need to track down diff drive shafts too
If you run 05+ wheels on a 99-03 wouldnt your wheels stick in a little. I know some people run spacers. But you have no spacers? How does that look?
Old 07-14-2010, 03:48 PM
wants to go 2wd to 4wd

Ok well What if I go the cheaper route right now and go with leafs... How hard later would it be to change to the 4 link setup i posted? or should i buy the set up and with the 4.5 inch lift and bolt up would that work? Oh and Yeah I knew about the fender flairs I wanna do that too looks mean as hello...
Old 07-14-2010, 04:25 PM
wants to go 2wd to 4wd

Hey just to bump up my own thread and take up space look at this thread... I just found it even though I replied I forgot about it... This would be the best swap right? At least for now.? I wanna do some of that but I can always ask more questions later.
Here is the thread...

4X2 TO 4X4

Whats the benefits to both.?

Last edited by SniperFolf; 07-14-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:15 PM

Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
Quote:
If you run 05+ wheels on a 99-03 wouldnt your wheels stick in a little. I know some people run spacers. But you have no spacers? How does that look?
look at my sig.. they look good to me..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.